This Physics degree covers subjects including dynamics, electromagnetic fields and optics. These areas lead onto the quantum world of subatomic particles, the unique nature of laser light, and the philosophically challenging ideas of quantum physics and astrophysics. Mathematics also plays an important part in understand physical concepts in more depth. In later years, the course will offer you various topics, including Laser Physics, Photonics, Semiconductor Physics, Instrumentation, Nuclear Physics and Elementary Particles.
Through research projects, you'll be able to develop skills in experimental design or computational modelling. The course will also help with your practical abilities, initiative and teamwork. The Physics degree is mathematically rigorous and suitable if you're interested in a career in research.
This integrated masters in Physics (MPhys) is accredited by the Institute of Physics (IOP) for the purpose of fully meeting the educational requirement for Chartered Physicist.<img src="/study/uk/undergraduate/img/susan-chan.jpg" alt="Susan Chan">
As a student I was awarded summer internships in research groups. It was great to be part of the research going on in Physics at Heriot-Watt. I was able to see what research was like and this helped me find my PhD place.Susan Chan, Physics BSc
Work and study
This is what our MPhys Physics students are doing six months after graduating:
- 45% are working
- 45% are studying
- 0% are working and studying.
- 55% of those working are in a professional/managerial position six months after graduating.
- The average salary of students six months after graduating: £24000
- The average UK salary of students six months after graduating from a similar course: £20000
These are the most common jobs students go into six months after graduating:
- Sales occupations
- Information technology and telecommunications professionals
- Business, research and administrative professionals
- Engineering professionals
- Leisure, travel and related personal service occupations
- Elementary occupations