This Mathematical Physics degree will give you a solid understanding in both mathematics and physics. The course offers a wide range of mathematical and physics topics, and also gives you the option to transfer between Mathematics and Physics at an early stage. Our Mathematical Physics degree will also give you an extensive range of computer modelling skills.
This integrated masters in Mathematical Physics course is accredited by the Institute of Physics (IOP) for the purpose of fully meeting the educational requirement for Chartered Physicist..
“My projects in Physics were a fantastic motivation and gave me the opportunity to see cutting edge research. This helped me shape my future decisions; to return to Physics at Heriot Watt for research studies.”Niclas Westerberg (Mathematical Physics 2011-2014). Niclas is currently working towards a PhD in the ExtremeLight Laser laboratory in Physics at Heriot-Watt University).
Work and study
This is what our MPhys Mathematical Physics students are doing six months after graduating:
- 45% are working
- 45% are studying
- 0% are working and studying.
- 55% of those working are in a professional/managerial position six months after graduating.
- The average salary of students six months after graduating: £24000
- The average UK salary of students six months after graduating from a similar course: £20000
These are the most common jobs students go into six months after graduating:
- Sales occupations
- Information technology and telecommunications professionals
- Business, research and administrative professionals
- Engineering professionals
- Leisure, travel and related personal service occupations
- Elementary occupations