When it opened in 1963, the University of York's founding principles were centred on opportunity for all and rigorous academic quality. In less than 50 years, York has powered its way to become one of the top ten universities in the UK - performing equally well on teaching and research quality measures - and is ranked in the top 100 universities in the world.
Recruitment of staff and students of the highest calibre from all corners of the world has built a global community at the University of York. We are a founding member of the Worldwide Universities Network (WUN), comprising 18 universities from the US, UK, China, Australia and South Africa. Our research is internationally significant and conducted with businesses and universities all over the world. Global partners include IBM, GlaxoSmithKline, AstraZeneca, Rolls Royce and Unilever.
Many degree programmes feature a year abroad and we have student exchange agreements withuniversities worldwide, including Columbia University, the National University of Singapore and the University of Sydney. Our distance-learning programmes offer students the chance to become part of the York community wherever they are in the world. And every two years 150 York students graduate at a special ceremony in Beijing.
The University of York makes an enormous impact on the lives of millions of people around the world. We aim to continue to challenge and change our future by providing an environment in which our staff and students are inspired to question, collaborate and discover.
Academic departments within the University of York include:
- Department of Archaeology
- Department of Biology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Economics and Related Studies
- Department of Education
- Department of Electronics
- Department of English and Related Literature
- Department of Environment
- Department of Health Sciences
- Department of History
- Department of History of Art
- Department of Language and Linguistic Studies
- York Law School
- The York Management School
- Department of Mathematics
- Hull York Medical School
- Department of Music
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Physics
- Department of Politics
- School of Politics, Economics and Philosophy
- Department of Psychology
- School of Social and Political Sciences
- Department of Social Policy and Social Work
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Theatre, Film and Television