Serious gaming is an exciting new development in the business environment, thrust into the public eye by rapid progress in the world of IT. Game design involves applying knowledge from the modelled domain to a mode and manner of representation that can alter a player's knowledge, attitude or behaviour with regard to the domain.What do Lego, Munchkin, Pandemic, Ingress, and a business model canvas have in common?Guido Bruinsma (course leader)
They provide the ingredients to learn about the art of game design that can be applied in business, health, safety and smart cities. Serious games have been enabling and fostering behavioral change for decades and we constantly get smarter in the way we use and apply them. We are looking forward to teach you -by playing our game of games- how to make serious games that will change lives, make people learn, change companies and society.
The Serious Game Design course equips you with a theory-driven play-centric approach. You will develop, play and validate a serious game in groups. In addition to acquiring and applying game design knowledge and domain knowledge through learning by doing, you will experience the agile project management aspects of the design process, with two-day sprints combined with peer student sprint reviews every two days.CuriousU 2017Registration is open now!Register nowOr read more about accommodation, courses, admission criteria and the fee.
- Scrum and Ideation
- Business Modeling
- Play (999 games)
- Serious Gaming
- Game Design
- Outside Play
- Behavior Change
- Dark Side of Gaming
- Mechanics and Dynamics
- Tame your Game
- Presentation of your Game
For further information or questions please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
After participating in this course you will be able to:
- apply game design methodologies
- apply game mechanics
- apply the SCRUM project management methodology
- provide structured feedback
- work in multidisciplinary teams
- present projects at poster presentations
You will also have detailed knowledge of:
- types of serious games and their applications
- the game design process
- game mechanics
- game validation and evaluation
and more general knowledge of the roles, procedures and workflow of SCRUM.
- Methods: Design Lab project
- Course level: Beginner's/Intermediate
- Target group: Students in their second or third Bachelor's year or entry level Master's students with an interest in serious gaming.
- Required knowledge: Creative inspiration
- Course leader: tbc
- Credits: 2 ECTS for successfully completing the summer school