Do you have a passion for helping people achieve their sporting potential? Do you see yourself coaching professional athletes, sports teams, school or community groups?
If you have an HND or Foundation degree in a subject related to sports or business, you can top up your qualification to a Bachelor's degree on this BSc (Hons) Sports Coaching top-up degree.
You'll explore contemporary, conceptual and theoretical research around the evolving nature of the modern sport coach practitioner and their role in the sports industry. You'll learn strength and conditioning techniques, how to empower athletes to develop and retain new skills, and how to identify training needs and develop training programmes that optimise sporting performance. The course also covers sports entrepreneurship, giving you the tools and skills to set yourself up as an independent sports coach.
You'll work on your own professional development alongside industry experts, enhancing your CV and networking with potential employers.
Once you graduate, you'll understand the principles that underpin sports coaching in the community and at elite sport level. You'll be ready for a career in high performance coaching environments, multi-sport coaching, coach education or within your own sports coaching business.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Apply skills acquisition theory and research in practice, enabling sportspeople to develop and master new skills
- Explore strategic management in the sports sector, analysing factors in an industry context for effective decision making
- Learn how technology, analytics and digital innovation are shaping the sports industry and how to benefit from them as a coach
- Use specialist gym and fitness testing equipment to develop experience in training techniques and injury prevention and assessment
- Gain sports coaching skills in technology, strategic management, digital innovation and analytics and learn how to apply this knowledge to the sports industry
- Have the chance to take part in research programmes run by internationally recognised sports organisations such as UEFA, the FA and the ECB
- Enhance your CV and professional network, and share your sporting skill in the local community through our coaching, mentoring and volunteering scheme
- Experience teaching that's driven by current practice and taught by lecturers who have delivered sports coaching in the community
- Boost your transferable skills such as teamwork, decision making, communication and time management
Facilities and equipment you'll use includes:
- A portable EMG system to measure how muscles activate and fatigue during sport
- Infrared motion analysis to understand how the body should move for best practice training
- Climatic chambers for manipulating temperature, humidity and altitude (including one at sub-zero temperatures for polar preparation)
- Force plates to assess total force and rate of force development for sportspeople, which helps you prescribe the correct exercise programme for them
- GymAware and PUSH bands for carrying out Velocity Based Training (VBT)
What you'll study
- Applied Skill Acquisition – 20 credits
- Advanced Strength and Conditioning – 20 credits
- Sports Entrepreneurship and Business Venturing – 20 credits
- Professional Development – 20 credits
- Project – 20 credits
Work experience and career planning
This top-up course includes a core Professional Development module, providing the opportunity to work on your own career aims alongside industry experts.
You'll complete a range of professional development activities, including work-based opportunities across a range of industry sectors related to sports coaching.
You'll be mentored by academic members of staff and take part in a masterclass series (workshops with academics and industry experts) focusing on the themes and challenges you'll encounter as a sports coach.
The masterclass series covers:
- Coaching Contexts and Methodologies for practice
- Coaching Pedagogy
- Sports Psychology
- Performance Analysis
- Talent Identification and Development
- Governance and Match Officials
- Mental Health Awareness in Sport
- Sports Nutrition and Coaching Practice
- Sport for Development (coaching focus)
- Current Issues in Sport Coaching
You'll learn through a blend of face-to-face sessions and online activities.
Teaching methods on this course include:
- One-to-one tutorials
- How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through:
- Practical assessments
- Client reports
- Video submissions
- Blog submissions
- Infographic submissions
- Presentation slides
You’ll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
Careers and opportunities
Sports coaches help others reach their best in terms of fitness, performance and ability. The aim of a sports coach is to nurture a participant's physical and psychological health and provide the best possible training conditions needed to achieve and exceed their sporting potential.
Integral to competitive sport, coaching is a growing profession responsible for shaping sporting success. Those with a solid understanding of the principles that underpin modern day sports coaching are in high demand.
When you complete the course, you'll be ready to enter a variety of commercial and non-commercial organisations such as:
- National governing bodies
- Professional sports clubs
- The Armed Forces
- Local authorities
- Health and fitness centres
- Charities and not-for-profit organisations
- Schools and community centres
Roles you could take on include:
- Community coach coordinator
- Coach educator
- Skills coach
- Strength and conditioning advisor
- PE teacher
- Sport development officer
- Sports marketing executive
- Sports agent
- Stadium manager
You could also go into areas outside of the sports coaching industry in roles such as sports journalism, finance or accounting.