If you want to work in property, where the risks are high and the rewards even higher, this accredited BSc (Hons) Property Development degree course gives you the entrepreneurial spirit and commercial, managerial, technical and creative skills you need to start a career in this field.
From the refurbishment of a small terraced house to overseeing the construction of a multi-million-pound development, you’ll emerge from this course with the knowledge and ability to tackle the various challenges of this fast-moving industry.
As well as property development, this course serves as an excellent foundation for careers in surveying, property law and building conservation.
What you'll experience
On this course you'll:
- Use specialist building facilities, including our experimental Port Eco House and suite of Building Information Modelling (BIM) software
- Get out of the classroom through on-site visits and an optional European study trip – past destinations include Barcelona, Paris, Turkey, Dublin, Denmark and the Netherlands
- Be inspired with visits from guest speakers with key industry experience, including property developers and land agents
- Solve real problems as part of our partnerships with charities, as well as local and global organisations
Work experience and career planning
To give you the best chance of securing a great job when you graduate, our Careers and Employability service can help you find relevant work experience during your course.
We can help you identify placements, internships, voluntary roles and freelancing opportunities that will complement your studies.
Teaching methods on this course include:
- group work
You'll be taught in a practical way to best prepare you for work in the property development industry.
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through:
- written exams
- web assessments
- essays and reports
- project presentations
- a dissertation
You’ll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
The way you’re assessed may depend on the modules you select. As a guide, students on this course last year were typically assessed as follows:
- Year 1 students: 50% by written exams, 8% by practical exams and 42% by coursework
- Year 2 students: 47% by written exams, 4% by practical exams and 49% by coursework
- Year 3 students: 28% by written exams, 17% by practical exams and 55% by coursework
Careers and opportunities
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry.
What jobs can you do with a Property Development degree?
Graduates from this course have gone on to work in property development, surveying, project management and consultancy in roles such as:
- chartered general practice surveyor
- chartered building surveyor
- property developer
- environmental impact auditor
- specialist advisers on retail, leisure and commercial property
- legal adviser and property lawyer
- land and asset manager
- chartered planning and development surveyor
- property taxation specialist
- facilities manager
- historic building conservationist
After you graduate, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your caree