Photography is undergoing a revolution in how images are made, encountered and experienced.
On this BA (Hons) Photography course, you'll gain the knowledge, experience and professional skills you need to work with the latest photographic ideas, techniques, and technologies.
Through research, experimentation, and production, you'll get an advanced grounding in analogue and digital photography and develop a professional, conceptual and aesthetic appreciation of the medium.
You'll engage with modern developments in photography, using our extensive professional photographic facilities and equipment such as our photographic studios, analogue and digital darkrooms, and the latest camera and production equipment. You'll also be introduced to new advancements in photography, such as computer-generated imagery (CGI), photogrammetry and 3D printing, setting yourself apart from others in a challenging job market and preparing yourself for work in the creative industries.
Industry and professional practice is embedded throughout the course, giving you plenty of opportunities to apply your skills and knowledge in situations you'll experience in your photography career. You can also do an optional paid placement year between years 2 and 3.
When you complete the course, you'll be set for working on commissions and self-assigned photography projects, either self-employed or working for a company. You could also continue your studies at postgraduate level.
What you'll experience
On this Photography course, you'll:
- Challenge photographic traditions, think progressively and act radically
- Gain a thorough grounding in the challenges of image making, including images as documents, narrative, fiction, and physical and virtual objects
- Through research, experimentation and production, develop your distinct photographic approach within the field of photography
- Be taught by practising professionals with experience in exhibiting, publishing, curating and writing about photography
- Access an impressive range of industry-standard equipment, including digital medium format cameras, professional DSLRs
- Use the latest advanced image processing software, such as Adobe Suite, Capture One, and Cinema4d
- Enjoy excellent photographic studio facilities, including our photographic studios with flash and tungsten lighting setups and black and white, colour and digital darkrooms
- Work with pioneering technologies and techniques, such as computer-generated imagery (CGI), photogrammetry, virtual reality (VR) and 3D printing
- Conceive and produce exhibitions and presentations, promoting your work to the public through industry portfolio reviews and a final-year graduate showcase
You can also:
- Take advantage of our connections, with the opportunity to meet a variety of world-renowned speakers such as Clare Strand, Peter Kennard, Kalpesh Lathigra, Emma Hardy, Simon Norfolk, Laura Pannack, Oliver Chanarin, Bettina von Zwehl, Faisal Abdu'allah, Sunil Gupta and Brian Griffin
- Go on optional annual study visits to galleries and photography festivals – previous locations have included London, Paris, Berlin and Brighton
- Spend a sandwich year applying your skills in the photography industry after year 2
Careers and opportunities
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry.
Previous students have gone on to work as:
- studio photographers
- video directors
- picture editors
- fashion photographers
Other graduates have continued their studies at postgraduate level or set up successful businesses with help and support from the University.
After you graduate, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
After your second year, you can do an optional work placement year to get valuable longer-term work experience in the industry.
You can work for a relevant company or organisation. Or set up and run your own business, alone or as a group. Previous students have completed placements as studio assistants at Camera Work London and photographic and video archival assistants at Miraculous Entertainment.
We’ll help you secure a work placement that fits your situation and ambitions. You’ll have access to Creative Careers, a team within the faculty that can help you to find placement opportunities within the creative industries. The team will provide you with a database of placement vacancies, support with your job search (including help with applications and interviews) and support throughout your placement, if you need it.
Work experience and career planning
This course features several modules that allow you to get professional experience, giving you the experience, business knowledge and contacts to start your career.
Our Careers and Employability Service and faculty-based Creative Careers service can help you find relevant work experience in the photography industry during your course. They can help you identify placements, internships, voluntary roles and freelancing opportunities that will complement your studies and build your portfolio.