Are you a budding critic, publisher, or journalist?
Our BA (Hons) Journalism with Media Studies degree course gives you a critical understanding of the media field while providing a grounding in journalism disciplines and techniques.
You'll learn from published media researchers and expert journalists, as well as using professional-grade media analysis and production facilities. You’ll also develop transferable skills you'll be able to use in any profession.
With the option of taking industry placements and the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) qualifications, you can tailor your study on this course to fit your ideal journalistic or media career.
- Get further professional qualifications by taking National Council for Training Journalists (NCTJ) exams
- Refine your practice by learning from published media researchers and journalists with written and broadcast experience in local, regional, national and international journalism
- Learn more about the journalism and media industries by meeting visiting professionals from industry bodies – past guests include Dream Team FC, The Times, Novara Media, Sky News, and the Cabinet Office at 10 Downing Street
- Gain valuable industry experience by taking optional placements throughout your degree
- Enhance your teamworking skills by collaborating with other students on other courses within the Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries
- Capture information at up to 100 words per minute by taking shorthand training
Careers and opportunities
Writers, journalists, and media professionals are needed across a wide range of sectors, with communications and marketing being the most popular. Due to the shift to digital and online platforms to adapt to the pandemic, this demand has grown. The non-specialist skills you'll graduate with will also help widen your career options.
The majority of our graduates are in professional roles within two years of graduating, with some progressing to postgraduate study or taking further teacher training to become educators.