If you're a HR and training professional looking for a course that lets you put your new learning into practice right away, our PgDip Human Resource Development and Training Management course is for you.
This work-based learning programme will give you with the skills and knowledge you need for a career in strategic, tactical and operational Human Resource Development (HRD). If you're already working as a manager, you'll learn how to manage HRD within the wider human resources and business context.
You'll graduate with fresh skills, techniques and practices to take on ambitious roles in HR consultancy, HR management, as a training professional, or to seek promotion opportunities. You could also continue your studies.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Get a professionally-recognised Level 7 CIPD qualification
- Study at your own pace for up to four years, with flexibility to fit your studies around your job
- Gear the course to meet the requirements of your current workplace, so that both you and your employer benefit
- Learn about the key themes in HRD, including Training, Learning and Talent Development; Consultancy, Coaching and Mentoring; Leadership and Management Skills, and the Training Manager in the Business Context
- Use our comprehensive online resources, including e-books, databases, journals and study skills resources
- Be supported by qualified and enthusiastic academic staff, through a combination of face-to-face contact, telephone, email and virtual learning
Work experience and career planning
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work as an HRD specialist.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
What you'll study on this PgDip Human Resource Development and Training Management course
Core modules include:
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Consultancy and Change Management
- Developing Leadership and Management Skills
- Leadership and Management Skills
- Learning and Talent Development
- Learning at Work
- Researching in HRD
- The Training Manager and the Business Context
You'll be allocated a tutor who will support and guide you in your studies, and with planning your work-based assignments. You'll have access to all of the University's online resources, just as though you were here on campus.
Learning is primarily self-directed, but you'll get guidance and support from experienced tutors. You'll be able to analyse, interpret and apply what you learn into your workplace.
It's recommended that you're supported by a work-based mentor, who will provide additional support and guidance.
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through:
- business research report
- professional development portfolio
You'll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
Careers and opportunities
We're an Approved Centre for the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), so when you graduate from the Human Resource Development and Training Management PgDip, you'll be eligible for Associate Membership of the CIPD, and depending on your previous experience, you could meet the criteria for Chartered Membership. The CIPD is the world's largest internationally-recognised Chartered HR and development professional body.
You'll also have strong people management and HR-specific skills, you'll be able to reflect on your practice, and be ready to make an active contribution to business performance.
What jobs can you do with a Human Resource Development and Training Management PgDip?
Career opportunities include:
- HRD specialist
- HR manager
- Training manager
- Training consultant
- Benefits analyst
- Human resource management (HRM)
- Human resource officer
- Human resource systems manager
- Personnel adviser
- Recruitment consultant
- Training and development coordinator