If you want to take an interest in film and develop the professional skills for a career in the film industry, this BA (Hons) Film Studies degree course will put you on the right track.
You’ll look at everything from Hollywood blockbusters to Vimeo shorts and international film culture. You’ll develop the critical tools to understand film’s historic influence, its pioneers and moguls, its auteurs and its audiences. And you'll get insight into working practices, business models and creative roles within the industry.
The course gives you the skills and abilities to take on roles across the film industry, such as script writing, film reviewing, marketing and public relations.
What you'll experience
On this Film Studies degree course you’ll:
- Explore the present, past and possible future of films
- Get insight from published writers and develop skills in applied research, video production, marketing and film journalism
- Work on your own films, drafting scripts and learning how to use cameras and editing suites
- Get access to Box of Broadcasts, the British Universities Film & Video Council's on demand TV and radio service
- Tailor your studies to focus on the areas of film that interest you most, by choosing modules that match your career ambitions
- Have the opportunity to study abroad at one of our partner institutions
Careers and opportunities
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the industry.
What jobs can you do with a Film Studies degree?
Roles you could go onto include:
- film marketing consultant
- advertising journalist
- film reviewer
- video producer
- PR and communications officer
Organisations graduates from similar courses on to work for include:
- Warner Bros
- Universal Pictures International
Other graduates have continued their studies at postgraduate level or set up successful businesses with help and support from the University.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Entrepreneurs in Residence
If you're interested in setting up your own business while you study, you can get support on this course from the Entrepreneurs in Residence programme. Our Entrepreneurs in Residence are experienced business professionals who work with us to deliver group workshops and 1-to-1 drop-in clinics to help you plan and market your business idea.