Whether you're an education professional or someone with an interest in the field, this MA Education Studies degree course will give you the skills to critically reflect on contemporary national and global educational issues – from the changing purpose of education and educational psychology to the ways in which policy and practice influence the lives of students.
You'll focus on all levels of education, including schools, colleges, universities and continuing professional development. You'll learn to handle complex issues at an advanced level and if you're already in a professional role, you'll develop the skills needed to lead in education policy and pedagogy, enhancing your career prospects.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Examine contemporary issues and perspectives in education at a local, national and global level
- Study educational research methods in preparation for a dissertation or work-based project
- Approach education from a variety of perspectives, such as psychology, sociology and pedagogy
- Carry out a research project related to your employment
Work experience and career planning
Once you graduate, our Careers and Employability service will help you find a job that puts your skills to use.
You can continue to use this service for up to 5 years after you leave the University, so we'll be on hand to support you as you advance in your career.
What you'll study on this MA Education Studies degree course
- Approaches to Education Studies
- Contemporary Perspectives in Educational Studies
- Research Methods in Education
- Contemporary Issues in Special Education Needs and Disability
- Education in a Global Context
- Leadership, Policy and Strategy: The Management of Educational Change
- Childhood Studies: The Child's Voice in the 21st century
- Educational Psychology
- Special Educational Needs and Disability
- Pedagogy and Practice
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through:
- dissertation or report
Careers and opportunities
When you finish the course, your understanding of both the theory and practical application of current knowledge in the field of education will place you in a strong position to advance your career.
What jobs can you do with an Education Studies degree?
Career opportunities include:
- University lecturer
- School mentor
- Senior educational leader/manager
- Academic study