Corporate governance is a crucial part of corporate performance and accountability, and professionals in this field are in demand across all sectors of industry. If you want to advance your career by developing your knowledge and understanding of corporate governance, risk and compliance, then this course will help you achieve your goals.
This LLM Corporate Governance and Law/Grad.CG degree course is designed for law and non-law graduates, practising lawyers and business professionals. You'll be eligible, after you graduate, for the Grad.CG qualification from the Chartered Governance Institute (CGI), and if you have relevant work experience you may also be able to apply for ACIS status (Associate in the Chartered Institute of Secretaries).
This course is available to study on either a full-time or part-time basis. Graduates of subjects other than law will undertake a compulsory module to introduce them to some core principles of English law.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- choose between full-time or part-time study, according to your commitments
- learn the key elements of good corporate governance, and the key elements of corporate law
- graduate with an CGI recognised qualification
- learn in a flexible environment which includes web, email and telephone access to many facilities
- have the opportunity to take advantage of our close relationship with CGI and our alumni network, and benefit from our mentoring service with members of the legal profession
- learn from our expert staff through a combination of lectures, group problem solving, discussion, debate and independent study
- have 24/7 access to our Library’s selection of electronic resources, including books, ejournals and newspapers
- have the option to study towards a Certificate of Training in Diligent Entities, the corporate secretarial software system
Work experience and career planning
When you graduate from this course, you'll have a thorough knowledge of corporate governance issues and the skills and confidence to advance your career.
If you choose to work as a chartered secretary, you can enter senior roles in a number of industries, in both the private and public sectors. Your qualification will give you international recognition, and you'll have the opportunity to work overseas.
We'll provide you with as much support as possible in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.
What you'll study
On this course, you will study all the CGI-accredited modules to gain the Grad.CG qualification. You will also be able to choose between a dissertation and a case study for your final project. The modules are as follows:
- Introduction to Law (for graduates of subjects other than law)
- Data Protection Law and Policy
- Risk Management
- Understanding Strategy
- Interpreting Financial and Accounting Information
- Company Compliance and Administration
- Corporate Law and Governance
Teaching on this course includes:
- group problem solving
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through:
- coursework (including essays and case studies)
Careers and opportunities
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies – and you'll have the opportunity to participate in our professional mentoring programme.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your corporate governance skills to work.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.