Given the challenges of global competition in terms of education, research, and innovation, 15 institutions (3 universities, 5 major engineering and business schools, 7 research organisations) decided to work together on a common project, pooling courses and research of the highest national and international standard, in order to create the research intensive Université Paris-Saclay (UPSaclay) at the heart of a huge ecosystem equipped with high-technology facilities and companies, Southwest of Paris.
UPSaclay member institutions offer their own bachelor's degrees as well as the internationally-recognized Université Paris-Saclay Master’s degrees and doctorates in the fields of natural, human and social sciences.
Université Paris-Saclay also offers students and researchers alike a dynamic of open innovation, implementing an iterative process to foster technology transfer.
- 15 member institutions: 3 universities, 5 engineering and business schools, 7 research organisations
- 60,000 students, 9,000 Master’s students (30% international), 4,500 PhD students (45% international)
- 45 mutualized Master’s programs and 350 Masters’ tracks coordinated within 8 thematic Schools
- 15% Master’s tracks taught in English
- 20 doctoral schools
- 9,000 researchers, professors and teachers
- 10 research departments
- 300 research teams and 12 “laboratories of excellence” (Labex)
- 50 International Associated Laboratories (LIA)
- The university accounts for 15% of France’s overall R&D potential, covering all scientific disciplines.
- The simulations of the 2016 ARWU Academic Ranking of World Universities place Université Paris-Saclay between 16-20th position among the world’s best universities.
- The university offers cutting-edge research with vast state-of-the-art facilities. Examples: “Apollo”, the most powerful laser in the world, “Neurospin” facility equipped with the most powerful IRM magnets in the world, “NeuroPsi” Research Centre in cognitive science, “C2N” research centre in nanoscience and nanotechnology (400 researchers, largest clean room in France…)
- At the heart of a major cluster, Université Paris-Saclay’s strategic position enables both academia, scientists and industrials to work closely together (e.g. joint research unit with Thales, hosting Nobel laureate in physics, Albert Fert).
With over 400 international partnerships for all Université Paris-Saclay institutions and over 30 agreements signed in its own name, Université Paris-Saclay is becoming a major player in the international academic landscape.
In order to foster the partnerships established by the university and its members, and the establishment of joint programmes, dual degrees at the Master or Phd (“cotutelle”) level, Université Paris-Saclay offers 160 annual Master’s scholarships for international students.
The university awards over 350 full PhD grants a year, with additional funding for interdisciplinary PhD projects and for double-degree PhD programmes.
Through the Jean d’Alembert fellowship programme, Université Paris-Saclay also invites the best scientists in any field and from any country for a 6 to 12-month research period at one of its laboratories.
A range of summer schools are organised in all subjects such as urban economics, sustainability, data science, astronomy, genomics, nuclear physics, robotics, and chemistry.
- 13% of French research
- 10 Field medallists
- 2 Nobel laureates
- 1st in France and 3rd in Europe for ERC grants (European Research Council)
- 120 Mln € invested in 13 outstanding scientific facilities (Equipex)
The 300 research units host 9,000 researchers and professors working in all scientific disciplines and on internationally-recognized interdisciplinary projects: Food, Health, Energy, Earth and Environment, Safety..., accounting for over 12,000 publications every year that receive a common Université Paris-Saclay identifier.
Home to 10% of doctoral candidates in France, Université Paris-Saclay offers unique structured doctoral programs dedicated to disciplinary or thematic challenges. Cross-actions and training programs dedicated to transferable skills and career development provide doctoral candidates with a wide scientific culture and international openness.
The overall scientific community of Université Paris-Saclay is at the heart of the technological cluster, streamlining relations with companies and integration into the business world.
- 210 innovative projects received
- 125 projects supported for a total budget of €8m
- 120 new start-up supported since 2014
- 28 innovative facilities for prototyping
- 5 Clusters: Security Space Defence, Energy, Mobility, ICT, Health
Entrepreneurship at Université Paris-Saclay is supported by the Innovation division within which the PEIPS network (Entrepreneurship & Innovation at Université Paris-Saclay) is dedicated to the training and support of students and young graduates with an entrepreneurial project. Working alongside the PEIPS network is Start In Saclay, an association that brings together students and young graduate entrepreneurs in a community of entrepreneurs around dedicated events.
Created within the French “Investments for the future” program, the SATT Paris-Saclay, a type of major TTO, is a subsidiary of Université Paris-Saclay which works closely with the Innovation division. A Saclay Seed Fund (50 M €) was launched in January 2016.
Université Paris-Saclay has established an iterative process to foster technology transfer for scientists and students, in 5 stages: Awareness – Proof of Concept – Maturation – Incubation and Design – Seed Fund.