The University of Liverpool Management School is one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be AACSB-Accredited.
The MBA Football Industries programme (FIMBA) is a unique, 12-month MBA qualification, run in partnership with the English FA that focuses on the professionalism, business and marketing of the beautiful game, delivering high-calibre executives into the global football industry.
If you want to work in football, with clubs, governing bodies or related marketing, media and sponsorship companies, this is the MBA programme for you.
There are three principal objectives to the programme:
- To introduce students to the modern football business, encourage them to understand theoretical debates around its functioning, and critically analyse processes and forces within it.
- To introduce students to generic management study, and encourage them to apply industry and business concepts to modern football.
- To offer vocational training to students who wish to enter the football industry and peripheral industries, and to develop the skills and attributes required to be successful in this sector.
The programme has three elements:
- A grounding in the core disciplines essential to management
- Specialised football focused professional development by means of taught modules
- A work based project or dissertation comprising an independent piece of research.
The FIMBA programme has some clear characteristics:
- FIMBA is the original, and still the only, Football Industries MBA.
- As an MBA programme; FIMBA has the real business focus that management positions in modern sport demand.
- Professional development in the field of the football industries is combined with a critical awareness of the issues involved in football management, strategy, law, marketing, finance and administration.
- FIMBA is at the centre of one of the best existing global networks in the football industry with alumni working for the top football / sports clubs, governing bodies, media and commercial organisations in Europe, Asia, the Americas and Africa.
- The programme utilises experts from the industry to engage with students and to offer placements.
- Students choose to take the programme because they already work in football and want to develop their skills or because they wish to switch into either the football sector directly or to a closely related industry.
- FIMBA is based in the football hotbed of the North-West of England and, more specifically, Liverpool. Its base in England, founder of the modern game and home to the prestigious Barclay’s Premier League, gives the programme an advantage when it comes to understanding the business of football with clubs used as laboratories for students to put theory into practice.
Network with employers on campus
You'll be able to listen to and meet high profile people from the football world. Recent speakers have included:
- Peter Kenyon CEO, Chelsea, Manchester United
- Rob Elstone CEO Everton
- Rick Parry Former CEO, Liverpool FC
- David Dein Former Vice-Chair, Arsenal FC
- Delia Smith Director Norwich City
- Neil Doncaster CEO, Scottish Premier League
- David Sheepshanks Head of FA Learning and Director of Ipswich Town.
- Gordon Taylor CEO PFA and President of FIFPro
- Steve Nuttall Communications Manager, BSkyB
- Dan Jones Deloittes Sports Business Unit
- Andy Korman Partner, Sports Law Unit, Couchman Harrington