Two-thirds of this programme consist of a research project that enables the student to develop significant expertise in a particular subject. This is complemented by options from the Department's portfolio of Master's programmes.
The programme is ideal for an industry-based project and/or student. Research can be drawn from across the School's areas of interest and expertise, which include manufacturing systems, control and instrumentation, and bulk solids handling.
Recent research topics include:
- The influence of product temperature upon adhesion to impact zones in process plants
- The design, construction and testing of a test rig to evaluate elutriation segregation; caking problems due to coal-biomass mixes in silos; and approaches for inhibition of cake formation
- The development of a fully automated elutriation tester
- The use of standpipes as a means of allowing the development of full outlet area activation when used in conjunction with preferential flow channel feeders
- A comparison of flow properties of coal, biomass and their mixes using small and large anular shear cells.