The digital world is changing from a world of computers to a world of connected smart devices and intelligent systems embedded in the environment, commonly described as the Internet of Things. The future of technology is increasingly focused on bringing the virtual world into the real world through innovations such as Google Glass and smart watches. At the same time, there are hardware advances such as robots that can vacuum your floors, walk, dance and even climb stairs. Developments in sensing technology allow people to play with games consoles by simply waving their arms. These trends will gain pace as technology moves away from the keyboard and screen to become truly embedded in the environment around you.
The move towards smart interconnected devices is going to be as revolutionary as the advent of personal computing, but will only be successful if companies can combine the traditional disciplines of computing and engineering to develop a new generation of intelligent systems that are designed to integrate together seamlessly. This exciting new degree programme is uniquely placed to provide you with the skills to be at the cutting edge of this new area by developing your skills as a cross-disciplinary innovator.Career development
Nearly 50% of the top 250 Financial Times Stock Exchange (FTSE) companies have a CEO who holds an engineering degree. This programme builds your skills to set you on the road to leadership.Accreditation
This degree programme is three years long in full-time mode. It is a new programme, but it is strongly anticipated that it will be accredited as:
- Fully satisfying the educational base for an Incorporated Engineer (IEng)
- Partially satisfying the educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng).
A programme of accredited further learning will be required to complete the educational base for CEng. See, for example, http://www.theiet.org for further information and details of Further Learning programmes for CEng status. Please see the MEng programmes if you are looking for CEng status without further academic study.Outcomes
The aims of the programme are:
- To provide you with the knowledge and skills relevant to a career as a professional engineer who can work effectively with current and future engineering product/ intelligent system development and production/implementation methods
- To support you in understanding the innovative and pioneering approaches in this field and to be able to apply them to the solution of real-world problems to develop new products and technologies for the Internet of Things
- To help you acquire the knowledge and skills required to perform a variety of professional roles within Engineering, Mechatronics, Robotics and Computing.