Bachelor of Engineering Technology (Hons.) in Mechanical Design (BET MD) aims to assist graduates to become full fledge Mechanical Design Technologist with the required knowledge and technical skills to serve the industry upon graduating. Besides Mechanical Engineering knowledge, students also will have the advantage of specializing in Mechanical Design. Emphasize will be given on components and systems level design to serve the mechanical, manufacturing, semiconductor, electronics, and also oil and gas industry.
Students will be exposed on the required knowledge and skills to produce detail Engineering Design that complies with Engineering Standards on safety, reliability and also environment impact. They will also learn to create design which is highly manufactured able and save cost.
At early stage of the programme, courses are aligned to expose the students to the basic Mechanical / Manufacturing knowledge. In the middle of the programme students will learn Specialized Design Courses which are relevant to the industry. At the end of the programme student will use their design knowledge to create complex design that will be reflected in their Final Year Projects
Graduates will be able to work in vast engineering and manufacturing sector such as Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM), Manufacturing, Automotive, Semiconductor, Oil and Gas etc. Career prospects are Technologist in the field of Mechanical Engineering and Design such as Mechanical Engineering Technologist, Mechanical Design Engineering Technologist, Manufacturing Engineering Technologist, Product Mechanical Engineering Technologist, Production Engineering Technologist and Marketing Engineering Technologist.
Program Educational Objective
- To produce graduates who are knowledgeable, competent, and innovative who will contribute towards the human capital in engineering technology related industry.
- To produce graduates who have effective leadership and team work skills as well as verbal, non-verbal and interpersonal communication skills to support their role in industry.
- To produce graduates who are committed to the importance of lifelong learning and continuous improvement.
- To produce graduates who practice professionalism with ethics and social responsibility.
- To produce graduates who are capable of embarking on business and technopreneurial activities.
Program Learning Outcome
- Acquire and apply the knowledge of mechanical engineering design and technology in design and development of products, components or systems.
- Identify, evaluate and propose new design concepts which are feasible, optimum, solve the design needs and also suitable for manufacturing.
- Solve engineering related problems using appropriate technology and tools with consideration for environmental health and safety
- Conduct investigation of broadly defined engineering design problems, locate, search and select relevant data from codes, data bases and literature, design and conduct experiments to provide valid conclusion.
- Select and apply appropriate techniques, resources and modern engineering tool, including prediction and modeling, to broadly-defined engineering activities, with an understanding of the limitations
- Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse technical teams.
- Communicate effectively with engineering community and society at large
- Demonstrate understanding of the societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities and norms of engineering technology practice.
- Demonstrate an understanding of professional ethics, responsibilities and norms of engineering technology practices
- Understand the impact of engineering solutions in a societal context and demonstrate knowledge of and the need for sustainable development
- Demonstrate an awareness of management, business practices and technopreneurship.
- Recognize the need for and have the ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning
- Fundamental English
- Profesional English 1
- Engineering Mathematics 1
- Tamadun Islam & Tamadun Asia (TITAS) (L) / Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 2 (I)
- Engineering Mechanics
- Computer Aided Design & Modeling
- Hubungan Etnik (L) / Pengajian Malaysia 3 (I)
- Innovation Management
- Engineering Drawing
- Strength of Materials
- Electrical & Electronics Laboratories
- Electric Cicuit Analysis
- Workshop Technology
- Isu-isu Kotemporari Muslim di Malaysia (L-M) / Culture and Lifestyle in Malaysia (LNM-&I)
- Engineering Mathematics 2
- Manufacturing Technology
- Fundamental of Material Science
- Thermal Science
- Ergonomics & Human Factors
- Co-curriculum (9 option)
- Fluid Mechanics
- Engineering Design Process
- Design for Plastics & Elastomer
- Finite Element Application
- Engineering Materials
- Computer Programing
- Profesional English 2
- Vibration & Noise
- CAD / CAM Rapid Prototyping
- Machine Component Design
- Pneumatic & Hydrraulic Systems
- Design for Sheet Metal Forming
- Mandarin 1 / Spanish 1
- Control Systems
- Machine & Mechanism Design
- Elective 1*
- Industrial Safety & Health
- Applied Statistics
- Final Year Project 1
- Mandarin 2 / Spanish 2
- Elective 2*
- Elective 3*
- Profesional Engineering Practice & Ethics
- Quality Engineering
- Final year project 2
- Industrial Training
Electives* & Co-curriculum