This is an integrated program jointly offered by the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. Its purpose is to provide selected and highly qualified students the opportunity to combine their medical school experience with intensive scientific training in pursuing a career as clinician-scientists in a chosen field. The program is designed so that students can receive the Doctor of Medicine (MD) and the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees after successful completion of six to seven years of enrolment. The program is built upon the regular M.D. curriculum, but is further customized to meet the unique career goals of individual students based on their background, previous research experience, and their chosen medical field of expertise. Graduates of the MD/PhD Program are trained as competent physicians, as well as skilled scientists who can sustain a successful and competitive clinical investigative career.
What sets the UBC program apart?
- The combined UBC MD/PhD Program is a 7-year program
- Find your perfect supervisor from the highly regarded faculty members within the Faculty of Medicine
- You have your curriculum customized to synergize with your research
- You choose to work in one of the four medical programs
- At least 7 distinct research campuses with cutting edge research tools
- Plenty of financial support: reduced tuition, scholarships, travel awards and research stipends
- The program hosts regular seminars for trainees and advocates for scheduling to balance research and clinical demands
- Connect with the highly motivated medical and graduate students ready for academic discussion, sports outings or a night of fun
MD/PhD students are trained to translate basic discoveries into improving diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease in patients. MD/PhD graduates have been highly successful in reaching the program's intended goal of a clinician-scientist career, including staff positions at universities.