The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine is a world-leading centre for research and postgraduate education in public and global health.
Students, academics, governments and professionals come to LSHTM from all over the world for its international presence, collaborative ethos, research excellence and prestigious study programmes in public and global health.
LSHTM consistently ranks highly in various global university league tables, and has a strong academic and media presence worldwide, supported by the production of regular news stories and reports by the LSHTM in-house press team.
- #1 UK university for the proportion of academic research with women listed as authors - 2019 CWTS Leiden Ranking.
- #4 in the world for Public Health - ShanghaiRanking 2019
- #13 in the world in the fields of social sciences and public health - US News Best Global Universities Ranking 2019
- #27 in the world for medicine - 2019 QS World University Rankings
- #1 in Europe for research impact in sciences, based on proportion of publications that belong to top 1% most frequently cited publications - 2018 CWT Leiden Ranking.
- Awarded the Queen's Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education in 2017 in recognition of our response to the 2014/15 Ebola epidemic in West Africa
- #1 University of the Year 2016/17 - Times Higher Education awards
What can I study?
LSHTM offers Master's programmes taught in London and via distance learning. Courses are comprised of a broad range of teaching modules taught by expert academic staff.
London-based MSc programmes are offered full-time over one year or part-time over two years.
Research degrees (MPhil/PhD or DrPH) are offered in all areas of the LSHTM's work.
Free Online Courses
LSHTM has a number of free online courses that are ideal for prospective students interested in various global health topics. Find out more and register at: www.lshtm.ac.uk/study/free-online-courses
For more information on scholarships, fees and funding please visit: www.lshtm.ac.uk/study/funding
The School is part of the University of London and is the University's major resource for postgraduate teaching and research in public health and tropical medicine. On successful completion of their studies, students gain a University of London degree.
Teaching and training are carried out by dedicated academic staff who are leaders in their fields and have considerable links with key universities and research institutions around the world, together with extensive academic, practical and international experience.
Students studying at LSHTM have access to a wealth of knowledge, to the expertise of the staff and to unparalleled benefits gained from contact with people from diverse backgrounds and nations. LSHTM's Library has one of the most comprehensive collections of books and journals in the field of international public health and tropical medicine in the world.
- Students hold TEDx events that bring together eminent speakers from LSHTM and further afield to share ideas and collectively make a difference in global health.
- Learning goes far beyond classrooms and labs with student interest groups, projects, social and sporting societies
- A friendly, diverse community of students, professionals and academics mean unrivalled opportunities for developing professional networks and friendships.
- LSHTM is in Bloomsbury, an area rich in academic history and culture in the heart of London, next to the British Museum
- London was voted #1 student city 2018 by QS Top Universities
- London is a global city of cultural wealth and diversity with great art, theatre, museums, music and cuisine
Graduates of our courses go on to varied careers; international and national health services, health ministries, Non-Governmental Organisations, the private sector, hospitals and research institutes and some will pursue further research or academic studies.
We'd love to hear from you so please feel free to get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org