The creative industries are made up of businesses and entrepreneurs that have creativity and content that is protected by copyright as a central part of their business model. The creative industries include sectors such as design, film and TV, publishing, the performing arts, music, advertising and gaming.
Creative workers and leaders exhibit different skills and approaches to other business sectors, and individuals with creative talent require business management and innovation skills in order to venture out leading creative enterprise. The Creative Enterprise MSc is uniquely positioned to help you respond to these evolving challenges.
The course enables you to understand how management and business operates within creative industry sectors to help you develop professionally. You'll examine the role of enterprise, innovation, legal issues and leadership customised for the creative industries. Giving you a comprehensive understanding of how business is conducted in this sector and a toolkit of creative enterprise skills.
The programme benefits from the location of being a short walk away from Leicester's Cultural Quarter and technology parks, and from close working relationships with creative organisations. Local creative workers and companies co-teach on the programme and offer creative industry mentoring and executive placements to boost your employability in the field.
Based at De Montfort University, you will be able to able to tailor your university experience to your own interests. There are opportunities to get involved with DMU Global international experience programmes and the university's volunteering programmes.
The course offers a range of benefits including:
- Option to pursue an Entrepreneurship Project or Creative Research Project
- Teaching from academics with experience across many segments of the creative industry
- Inspirational setting headquartered in the historic Great Hall of Leicester Castle
- Regular visionary leadership talks by inspiring business figures and entrepreneurs
- Peer support from a small, exceptionally talented tutor group
- Modules specifically created to provide key practical skills needed to develop ventures in today's creative industry
- Opportunities to work with industry professionals through our collaboration with Leicester's Curve Theatre
- Access to the postgraduate wing of the Hugh Aston Building
- Access to a 24/7 high-tech library with a choice of learning environments and to amenities such as the QEII Diamond Jubilee Leisure Centre
- Mentoring and support from academics in the forefront of their fields
- Emphasis on the development of business-relevant cultural awareness
- Valuable links to Leicester's Curve Theatre, Leicester Comedy Festival, Creative Leicestershire, Horus Music, Colab Creation and Inspirate Arts
- Opportunities to participate in business breakfast events
- Opportunities to network with Leicester's creative businesses at a range of events throughout the year