The programme aims to offer knowledge and expertise for a career in the academic world, or to pursue a variety of other opportunities in which a strong mathematical background is important. Past students are on the staff of universities in the UK and abroad, and senior statisticians and managers in industry and business.
Available research areas
- number theory
- functional analysis and spectral theory of ordinary and partial differential operators
- calculus of variations and partial differential equations
- numerical analysis
- theoretical and computational fluid dynamics
- operator algebras and non commutative geometry
- algebraic topology
- algebraic geometry
- quantum field theory and statistical mechanics
- conformal field theory and vertex operator algebras
- image processing
- operational research
- time series analysis
- probability theory and statistics.
- Lively research environment, extensive seminar programme.
- Conference and workshop support, including annual Welsh Mathematics Colloquium.
- Optional participation in undergraduate teaching, including HEA accreditation.
- Colloquia are held regularly and each research group has a weekly research seminar.
- The School hosts and participates in frequent workshops organised by WIMSC research clusters, with which the research groups are associated.
- The many collaborative projects with groups in other institutions in the UK and abroad, bring a steady stream of distinguished visitors to the School.