Why study BSc (Hons) Product Design at BU?
- Learn how to manufacture physical models and prototypes, as well as produce industry standard computer models
- Use state of the art facilities including a specialist CAD laboratory and our Innovation Centre
- Spend your third year on a work placement, gaining at least 30 weeks experience in a relevant industry
- Design your own original product and make a working prototype in your final year and exhibit it at our annual Festival of Design & Engineering
- Choose to extend your undergraduate study and continue to the award of Master of Design (MDes) Product Design
- Graduate with a range of skills allowing you to go into a range of careers in the industry from a designer through to production manager.
This course will give you the skills to develop successful commercial products. You’ll be encouraged to take a creative and innovative approach to problem-solving, while also addressing the functional, social and economic needs of your design.
The BSc (Hons) Product Design focuses on the technological aspect of design whereas the BA focuses on the aesthetic and contextual issues relating to product design. You don’t need to decide which route you’ll take until your final year.
Accredited by the Institution of Engineering Designers to fully meet the requirements for Registered Product Designer (RProdDes) registration for intakes between 2019-2023. Accredited courses are fully supported by the Institution, and IED student membership is free to full-time students for the duration of their studies.
Meet the Designers
BU's annual Festival of Design & Engineering is where our final year Design and Engineering students exhibit their prototypes and projects. View their projects online: www.bournemouth.ac.uk/festival