BIOS has National Science Foundation Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) funding to support 8 undergraduate student researchers at BIOS during the 2015 fall semester. Students will conduct independent projects under faculty and staff supervision within several research areas including:
- Biology, chemistry, and physics of the open ocean
- Biology, physiology, and biochemistry of reef building corals and reef ecosystems
- Molecular biology of marine organisms
- Environmental chemistry of Bermuda's atmosphere and inshore waters
- Effects and consequences of global environmental change
Throughout the semester, REU students will give presentations that outline their research topic, methods, and results, including a final presentation to BIOS faculty, staff, and visiting students. REU students will also have the opportunity to participate in a variety of field excursions to learn about Bermuda's natural history, as well as workshops and seminars given by BIOS faculty. In 2015, REU students will arrive at BIOS on August 30 and depart on November 21.