Ask Anna – UK student visa changes

By StudyLink

Question: “How has the UK student visa changed?”
The UK government offers student visas to foreign students that have been offered a full time place at a recognized UK education institution.
The new Tier 4 Student Visa replaces the old UK Student Visa.

To be able to apply, you must:

  • have been offered a full time place at a recognized UK institution (full time is minimum of 15 classroom hours per week),
  • study minimum B2 level of English language course of the Common EU Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR),
  • prove you can support yourself financially including course fees, living costs and accommodation,
  • state that you will return home after completing your study.

Student visa conditions:

  • You will probably be granted a one year visa to start with, depending on the length of your course
  • Tier 4 (general) applicants for courses below degree level (excluding foundation degrees), may work for 10 hours per week during term time
  • Tier 4 (child) applicants and you are 16 or 17 years old may work for 10 per week during term time
  • Tier 4 (general) applicants for course less than six months cannot bring family members
  • Tier 4 (general) applicants for courses less than degree level (excluding foundation degrees), your dependants cannot work unless they qualify to work under Tier 1 or 2 visas

For more information, visit the UK Border Agency.

UK government announced an overhaul of the UK student visas on 22 March 2011.
“Tougher entrance criteria, limits on work entitlements and the closure of the post-study work route are among the changes to the student visa system announced today by Home Secretary Theresa May.”
1. Students at degree level now require ‘upper intermediate’ English (B1) up from ‘lower intermediate’ (B2)
2. Only postgraduate and government-sponsored students can bring their dependants
3. Tier 1 (post-study work) route is being closed – no more two years post-study work. Students can still work post-study on a Tier 2, business sponsored visa
For more information…
Do you have a question for Anna?
Write your question in the comments box below. The best question will be chosen for next month’s newsletter!

The latest articles on StudyLink
StudyLink recommends

Sign Up to StudyLink

Sign up to StudyLink, the home of quality study abroad advice.

Click Here to Sign Up Now
  • Receive the StudyLink News newsletter
  • Save your favourite courses to build a shortlist
  • Be the first to find out about exciting new study opportunities

Join Our Newsletter


Sign up to today for free and be the first to hear about any new study abroad opportunities

Subscribe Now