The three-year PhD programme within the Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering gives suitably-qualified students the chance to address important problems and challenges in computing.
- develops your understanding of the research process and your ability to analyse and constructively augment a particular research area
- provides you with experience of communicating research results in written and oral form
- equips you with advanced knowledge and research skills that are relevant to both academia and industry.
We provide high-calibre, discipline-specific training that takes advantage of XJTLU's distinctive international features and vibrant research environment.
The programme is a strategic research collaboration between XJTLU and the University of Liverpool, and is based at XJTLU. Upon successful completion of your programme you will receive a degree from the University of Liverpool, which is recognised by the UK's Department of Education as well as China's Ministry of Education.
Students on this programme are formally registered with the University of Liverpool as off-site postgraduate research students. You will carry out research on XJTLU premises under the supervision of the supervisory team.
As a PhD student you will be appointed a designated primary (local) supervisor at XJTLU, who is a full-time member of academic staff. In addition, you will also have a designated secondary supervisor based at the University of Liverpool.
The normal length of full-time PhD programme is three years. At the end of three years' full-time study, you can apply for an extension of one year to complete the writing of your dissertation. Part-time PhD degrees usually take four to seven years.
As a registered full-time PhD student, you have the opportunity to apply for a research visit to the University of Liverpool for up to three months. Your accommodation and travel fees will be covered by XJTLU and the University of Liverpool.
Full-time PhD students are funded to attend local and international conferences during their studies.
Key benefits of PhD study at XJTLU:
- Our PhD programme equips you with a range of professional skills to help you maximise your future employability
- Our supervisors will guide you through one of the most intellectually satisfying experiences of your life
- Supervision from respected academics at both XJTLU and the University of Liverpool
- PhD students have dedicated travel budgets for participating in international conferences
- The chance to apply for a research visit to the University of Liverpool for up to three months
- Opportunities to work as a teaching assistant and develop crucial academic skills.
We have a number of scholarship options for PhD candidates, including tuition-only scholarships for full-time PhD study and an academic merit scholarship for international students. Please see our scholarships page for more information.
Additionally, specific funded PhD projects are available that have a scholarship covering the tuition fee and a monthly stipend. Please visit scholarships for specific financial information. The Department has the following funded PhD projects available (this list is updated in January and July every year):
Title of PhD projectReference numberStatusSupervisor
Information-Visualization Interfaces for Multi-device Co-located Synchronous Collaboration
Dr Paul Craig
Secure Localization in Wireless Networks
Dr Dawei Liu Dawei.Liu@xjtlu.edu.cn
Software-Defined Distributed Energy System
Dr Xin Huang Xin.Huang@xjtlu.edu.cn
Visual Speech Modelling for Multimodal Speech Processing
Dr Andrew Abel
Big Data Analytics on Knowledge Acquisition
Dr Gangmin Li
Augmented Reality for Multi-Person Co-located Interaction
Professor Yong Yue