The MSc Professional Accounting programme aims to provide you with strong professionally oriented training in accounting. You will study the professional syllabus of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) and will obtain exemptions from all six professional-level papers of the exams needed to gain chartered accountant status (subject to validation of the programme by ICAEW), as well as receiving preparation to sit the final advanced-level papers.
Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
International Business School Suzhou (IBSS) is one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business), a globally recognised standard for the highest quality in business education. Only five per cent of business schools worldwide have been awarded the accreditation and IBSS is the youngest school ever to have achieved it.
Knowledge and skills
The MSc Professional Accounting programme will equip you with:
- intellectual skills and theoretical understandings appropriate to the study of accounting at postgraduate level
- an awareness of key current issues, theory and practice in the field of accounting
- skills in professional accounting and financial decision-making, evaluation and analysis of financial data and the techniques required to evaluate and act upon complex financial and tax-related issues encountered in practice
- the knowledge necessary towards qualifying and operating as a chartered accountant.
- Financial strategy
- Financial accounting and reporting
- Audit and assurance
- Business strategy and management
- Business planning - taxation
- Tax compliance
- Corporate reporting and auditing I and II
- Strategic business management
- Integrated case study.
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
The additional learning activities on MSc Professional Accounting include:
- Introduction to research methods
- Personal and employability skills
- Postgraduate English
- Graduate teaching assistantship
- Graduate research assistantship
- Participation in IBSS research seminar series
- Thomson One Certificate achievement
- EIKON Certificate achievement
- Datastream Certificate achievement
- Professional software skills
- Volunteer work for University and School projects and events
- Field trip/company visit
- Career development activities
- Graduate work placement
- Professional accounting learning support sessions
- China tax and international tax
- Online training leading to professional accounting skills
The MSc Professional Accounting programme is designed to prepare you to qualify as a chartered accountant with the ICAEW. It is also useful preparation towards other professional accountancy exams, such as those offered by ACCA (the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants).