Learn about the mechanisms that determine the cost and price of construction, and how projects can be completed on time, to specification and within budget.
The BSc in Quantity Surveying degree at University of Reading Malaysia, offers a great combination of academic excellence and practical expertise. The course offers you a world-class opportunity to study flexibly for a degree that is recognised by professional bodies internationally, including the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB). It also has (provisional) accreditation from the Board of Quantity Surveyors Malaysia (BQSM) and the Pacific Association of Quantity Surveyors (PAQS).
This programme is rated 5th in the UK and 36th overall for Architecture/Built Environment in the QS World University Rankings 2017 by subject.
Students will develop a broad range of skills and the ability to think strategically. A particular emphasis is placed on transferable skills and our graduates are renowned for rapid progression to senior positions within the construction industry, in consultancy and contracting firms. Many progress to a career in project management.
Core subject areas include:
- Building science and technology
- Construction techniques and processes
- Building procurement, cost planning and project management
- Building information modelling (BIM) and computerised taking-off and quantification
During the first two years you will develop a comprehensive understanding of the disciplines which underpin construction management and the surveying professions, such as economics, law, industry practice and building technology. Recurring themes throughout the course include the application of digital technologies and internationalisation. There is an especially strong focus on project work and on interdisciplinary collaboration. For example, during your second year, you will work collaboratively in order to complete four different sets of multidisciplinary projects. Furthermore, we place a strong focus on employability and you will have the opportunity to network with industry professionals throughout the programme.
Students will also be encouraged to take up a placement from the period of June to early September, between the second and final years. In addition, there will be an option to spend a year in our UK campus for valuable student mobility experience.
In the final year you will develop specialist knowledge of construction economics and contract law, with a particular focus on managing costs throughout the project life cycle from early design through to building completion and beyond. You will also complete a dissertation on a research topic of your choice and a quantity surveying project, in which you will prepare a design cost plan. Additionally, you can explore areas of interest through optional modules on subjects such as human resource management, historic built environment, health and safety, and international construction.
Core modules include:
- Construction Science
- Construction Site Engineering
- Construction Technology
- Economics for Construction and Engineering
- Empirical Studies
- General Introduction to Law
- Information and Communication
- Principles of Management
- Projects 1.
Core modules include:
- Building Environment Systems
- Building Pathology
- Building Technology
- Construction Contract Law
- Construction Economics
- Construction Procurement
- Construction Statutory Law
- Introduction to Quantification and Computerised Taking-Off
- Management in the Built Environment
- Research Skills
- Projects 2.
Core modules include:
- Project QS
- Quantification and Costing
Optional modules include:
- Construction Contract Management*
- Business Organisation and Management
- Digital Technology Use in Construction
- Green Innovation in Construction
- Historic Built Environment
- Human Resource Management
- International Construction
- Management of Construction Projects
- Quantification for infrastructure Engineering*
Please note that all modules are subject to change.
* compulsory for Malaysian students who want to register with BQSM
Please note that all undergraduate degrees from the University of Reading in the UK and in Malaysia are Honours Degrees.