If you want to get ahead in your engineering career, an HND in General Engineering can help you realise your ambition. On this course, which you can do full time or part time, you'll get to grips with the fundamentals of engineering sciences and management, and learn how you can apply your skills to the industries you want to work in.
You'll learn from experts, and apply what you learn to your job if you're already in an engineering role. When you finish the course, you'll have new skills, knowledge and professional experience, backed up by a Higher National Diploma that could help you land your dream job, or progress in your career. You could also continue your studies, for example, by topping up your HND to a Bachelor's degree.
The course takes place at the Centre of Excellence for Composites, Advanced Manufacturing and Marine (CECAMM) at the Isle of Wight College. This brand new, £12 million facility, is packed with the latest tools, equipment and resources. While studying at CECAMM, you can access our student support services and community including study support, the Students’ Union and our library's online resources.
What you'll experience
On this HND General Engineering course, you'll:
- Attend the brand new £12 million Centre of Excellence for Composites, Advanced Manufacturing and Marine (CECAMM) at the Isle of Wight College
- Study topics that support your interests and career ambitions
- Learn from experts in seminars, lectures and group sessions
- Put what you learn to work in your job straight away, if you're already in employment
- Get the option to continue your studies, and top-up your HND to a Bachelor's degree after the course
Teaching on this course includes:
- group sessions
You'll also need to do around 120 hours of self-directed learning for each module.
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through:
- a portfolio
- reflective accounts
Careers and opportunities
Our Careers and Employability service can help you with career planning and you'll get access industry contacts, careers events and recruitment fairs during the course.
After you finish the course, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.