Big business, social media, finance and the public sector all rely on data scientists to analyse their data and draw out business-boosting insights.
On this BSc (Hons) Data Science and Analytics degree course, you’ll learn the technical and analytical skills to make sense of the vast amounts of data available to organisations while working within the regulatory and technical boundaries of the field.
After the course, you’ll be prepared for roles such as data analyst, data scientist, systems developer and systems analyst.
On this degree course, you’ll:
- Learn to use databases, systems and analytical tools to generate insights and intelligence
- Get a deep understanding of modern big data, machine learning and data mining methods
- Identify trends, patterns and correlations to benefit businesses, like targeting new products or increasing sales
- Develop commercial skills, focusing on how to present and visualise your findings
- Apply your analytical abilities to practical problems and real-world datasets, such as our research in cosmology, health information and cyber security
- Have access and training in our new SAP Next-Gen Lab
Teaching methods on this course include:
- lab sessions
- self-directed study
How you're assessed
You’ll be assessed through:
- written assignments
- group and individual lab-based assessments
You’ll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark.
You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
Careers and opportunities
When you finish the course, you'll be equipped for a career in the data analytics and deep learning industry. You could work for multinational companies, small and medium enterprises, and innovation centres.
What jobs can you do with a Data Science and Analytics degree?
Previous students have gone on to work as:
- data analysts
- data engineers
- data architects
- information analysts
Other graduates have continued their studies at postgraduate level or set up successful businesses with help and support from the University.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.