This course focuses on bringing environmental considerations to the forefront of architectural design.
This course aims to equip designers with the necessary skills to integrate environmental design principles from an early stage in the design process, enabling them to deliver truly sustainable buildings.
The 12-month course in Architecture and Environmental Design is a design-based master’s degree that was designed to provide advanced training in integrated environmental design and sustainability in architecture. It is intended primarily for practitioners in architecture and in the building industry who wish to broaden their knowledge in sustainable building design and the application of environmental design principles and practice in architectural projects.
The course emphasises a problem-solving approach where technical and theoretical knowledge is well integrated in design projects, a unique learning method in environmental design education. By using the design projects as vehicles, you will be introduced to an integrated design approach where environmental design theories and principles are used to inform the design process. Design proposals are tested and refined using a range of physical and computer-based simulation tools available from our world-class facilities. Other modules are taught alongside studio design in order to support this process.
- The Department of Architecture and Built Environment aims to develop your vocational skills and the environmentally responsible attitude necessary in today’s rapidly changing world.
- The department enjoys strong collaborative links with overseas institutions. You may have the opportunity to attended conferences, seminars and training courses both in the UK and abroad.
- The department has strong collaborative links with architectural practices and environmental design consultants in the UK and abroad. Experts in the field are often invited to give you lectures, tutorials, and participate in design reviews. You may have the chance to meet and collaborate with some of the best-known people in the field.
- This course can help you to broaden your careers horizon, develop critical thinking skills, as well interpersonal communication and professional presentation skills.
- The course offers cross-disciplinary interaction and debate, as you work with professionals from other industrial sectors and share experience, and can enhance your professional network of contacts and support.
- The personal benefits of this course include a broadening career horizon, development of critical thinking skills, development of interpersonal communication and professional presentation skills, cross disciplinary interaction and debate, working with professionals from other industrial sectors and sharing experience, as well as enhancing your professional network of contacts and support.
- This course does not currently convey professional accreditation in the UK.
To find out more about this course please viist the University of Nottingham's website.