This MSc programme provides its students with an opportunity to extend the technical knowledge acquired on an undergraduate degree programme in mechanical or manufacturing engineering.
Though not a specialist Master's degree, the programme provides a broad subject-specific curriculum that provides an opportunity for students to tailor the programme to meet their personal needs, with specialism pursued through a major project.
Many of these projects reflect the key research interests of the Department, such as manufacturing, bulk materials handling and instrumentation. However, projects can be selected from across the discipline from a list provided by the Department. Many projects are derived from our industrial links, and a number are proposed by students, reflecting their personal interests or experience.
The aims of the programme are:
- To provide students with an enhanced base of knowledge and current and reflective practice necessary to initiate a career in mechanical and manufacturing engineering at the professional engineer level
- To enhance specialist knowledge in the area of mechanical and manufacturing engineering which build upon studies at the undergraduate level
- To further develop improved skills of independent learning and critical appraisal
- To develop an extensive insight into industrial applications and requirements
- To develop critical insight of management issues relating to engineering business.