The PG Certificate/Diploma programme aims to providegeneral-level pharmacists, registered with the GPhC and working within the NHS,with the core skills and competencies required to provide holisticpharmaceutical care in the practice setting.
The programme aligns with a nationally agreed pharmacypractitioner development strategy and is the result of a unique collaborationof higher education institutions across London and the south and east ofEngland.
The programme develops the practitioner student's underpinningknowledge and skills in clinical pharmacy practice and medicines management.
The programme works on a philosophy of student-centred workplacelearning, supported by workbooks and learning sets facilitated by experiencedpharmacy practitioners. The practitioner students are expected to takeresponsibility for managing their learning and achieving the course objectivesin support of their CPD.
Completing the practice elements of the PG Certificate/Diploma programmeleads to an academic award and the award of a Statement of Completion ofGeneral Pharmacist Training from an accredited training centre.In the MSc programme, you will complete aresearch project, supported by academics with expertise in practice research.You will gain expertise in research techniques, you will be supported to writea protocol and complete either an NHS or University Ethics application and tocollect and analyse your data.
The aims of the PG Certificate and PG Diploma are to enable you to:
- Apply appropriate knowledge, skills and attitudes in order to carry out effectively the role of the general pharmacist practitioner within your pharmacy practice base and wider healthcare teams
- Carry out effective consultations with patients respecting their diverse needs and with regard to confidentiality and consent
- Identify, prioritise and resolve complex pharmaceutical care issues
- Apply knowledge of pathophysiology, pharmacology and the clinical use of drugs and therapeutic guidelines to the treatment of common disease states
- Access, gather, interpret, critically evaluate and summarise medicines information
- Monitor the quality of services provided, identify, prioritise and resolve significant medicines management issues and monitor and evaluate outcomes
- Establish population health needs and apply specialist pharmaceutical knowledge to public health issues.
The aims of the MSc are to:
- Investigate a topic in depth
- Evaluate current practice or a new service
- Publish research and advance knowledge in pharmacy practice
- Develop skills you require for the RPS Advanced Pharmacy Framework
- Inspire you and others in your workplace to carry out much needed practice research
- Support your future career and to help youexplore new career paths.