The Higher Diploma in Arts (Celtic Civilisation) is intended for those who already have a degree and who wish to study the literature and culture of the medieval Celtic countries intensively over one academic year full time, or two academic years part time.
This is a conversion course and our students would not normally have studied the subject to honours degree level previously.
The course is aimed at graduates who would like to study a master's course in the subject area (but who do not have an honours degree in the relevant area) or who may wish to add the Higher Diploma in Arts subject to their qualifications
The Higher Diploma in Celtic Civilisation consists of modules to the value of 60 credits taken from a range of existing Second and Third Arts modules in the relevant subject. Suitable modules as well as attendance requirements and coursework are determined by the Department of Early and Medieval Irish and approved by the College of Arts Celtic Studies and Social Sciences. The course of study to be followed may vary depending on your background, preferred area of specialisation etc.
The course will be made up of modules from Levels II and III of the undergraduate BA offerings in Celtic Civilisation. The subject modules will be chosen by you in consultation with our staff at the Department of Early and Medieval Irish.
Module options include:
- The Celtic Contribution to Medieval Christian Europe
- Celtic Saints
- Early Celtic Lyric Poetry
- Learning and Society in the Celtic Countries
- The Celtic Languages
- Early Irish Spirituality
- The Mabinogi
- Ireland and Wales
- Ireland and Scotland
- Visions and Otherworld Journeys in Celtic Literature
- Early Irish
- Irish Historical Tales
- The Finn Cycle
- Themes in Medieval Celtic Culture
Please see the College Book of Modules for information and descriptions of modules for the current academic year.
Course Code: CKA26 Full-time; CKA36 Part-time
Course Title: Celtic Civilisation
College: Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences
Duration: 1 year Full-time; 2 years Part-time
Teaching Mode: Full-time, Part-Time
The part-time option will be taught during weekday working hours over 2 years.
Qualifications: HDip in Arts
NFQ Level: Level 8
Costs: 2017/2018 Irish/EU EUR 6,000 full-time; EUR 3,000 per year part-time
2016 Entry Requirements: You will have a degree, preferably in the area of Arts or the Sciences (see detailed entry requirements)
Closing Date: See details in application procedure section below
Next Intake: 11 September 2017
For the full-time one-year option, you are required to choose modules with a total value of 60 credits from the Celtic Civilisation modules for second and third year. Taught modules have a value of 5 credits apiece, so students limiting themselves to these should take 6 modules per semester. Celtic Civilisation taught modules normally comprise 24 hours of lectures, accompanied by PowerPoint presentations and handouts. Materials presented in lecture, together with supplementary materials, are made available on each module's Blackboard (UCC's virtual learning system) site. There are also project-based modules available, to be undertaken on topics agreed with the Department: CC2010 (10 credits) and CC3009 (5 credits).
You are expected and encouraged to extend and deepen your acquaintance with the topic through reading. To this end, you are provided with reading lists, and recommended books as well as course-specific sourcebooks are placed for you in the Boole Library's Open Reserve. Like all Arts subjects, Celtic Civilisation enables you to acquire facility in analysis and presentation of material through class essays.
Celtic Civilisation modules are typically assessed through an in-class assessment (counting for 20% of the total mark) and a final examination (counting for 80%), both of which are in essay format. For module CC2010, you will undertake an extended research project which will be assessed based on an annotated bibliography (25% of total mark), a presentation to Department staff and fellow students (25%), and an essay (50%).
Application for this programme is on-line atwww.pac.ie/ucc. Places on this programme are offered in rounds. The closing dates for each round can be found here. For full details of the application procedure click How to apply.
Please note you will be required to answer specific additional supplementary questions as part of the online applications process for this programme. A copy of these supplementary questions are available to view here:CKA26AdditionalQuestions (49kB) andCKA36AddtionalQuestions (49kB)
Further Contact Information
Ciara NÃ ChurnÃ¡in
T:+353 (0)21 490 3360