English is a very important subject in Hong Kong. Students of this programme have the opportunity to develop knowledge of English and different methods of teaching English as a second language. The programme is highly practical, requiring students to use English for a variety of academic and professional purposes throughout their five years of study. This programme aims to prepare students who:
- have a high level of proficiency in English by fulfilling the language exit requirement as stipulated by the University;
- have in-depth knowledge of the English language;
- are able to help students in primary schools in Hong Kong to learn English as a second language effectively;
- have lifelong learning skills and are able to appreciate moral, social and cultural values;
- can work collaboratively with students, parents, colleagues, school administrators and other professionals; and
- understand education issues of Hong Kong and will react to educational innovations positively.