The Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Language Studies (BA [Lang Studies]) programme offers two major tracks: Chinese Major and English Major. Each major track is treated as an independent choice for admission purposes.
The BA(Lang Studies) programme aims to graduate students who have the following attributes:
- Demonstrate a high level of proficiency in the language of their major;
- Demonstrate a level of proficiency in the other target language which will be sufficient for workplace communication;
- Are able to identify communication issues and resolve relevant problems in context;
- are critical thinkers with high moral and ethical standards, plus a readiness to question established truths, and the confidence and courage to challenge received wisdoms; and
- Are equipped with analytical ability to learn from varied social and global contexts whilst having a propensity to turn life's challenges into opportunities for intellectual development and personal growth.
The programme also aims to cultivate in the students a heightened cross-cultural awareness. It prepares students for such dynamic careers as media and publications, culture and entertainment, advertising and public relations, business, education, and the civil service.