Course Outline: What You Will Cover
The ICI public relations (PR) course has been designed by the PR industry and teaches you the skills that you need to succeed quickly and conveniently. Course units include:
1 Introduction to Public Relations
- What Is Public Relations?
- How Public Relations Differs from Advertising or Marketing
- Benefits of a Public Relations Career
2 The Functions Public Relations Specialist
- PR Roles
- Creating a Public Relations Plan
- Media Relations
- Developing a Media List
- Distributing Your Information
- Public Relations Techniques
- Writing a Press Release
- Developing the Media Kit
- Feature Articles
- News Conferences
- Special Events
- Other Techniques
- Crisis Communication
- Internet Public Relations
- Monitoring the situation
- Building a Website
3 Career & Skills Development
- Gaining Marketable Experience
- Types of Employers
- Corporate and High Tech
- Public Relations Agencies
- Market Trends
- Preparing a Portfolio
- Job Hunting
- Advertised Positions
- Unadvertised Positions
- The Interview
- What Employers Are Looking For
- How to Make a Good First Impression
- Interview Questions
- Researching the Company
- Unconventional Ways to Break In
4 Freelancing/Starting Your Own Public Relations Agency
- Is Self-Employment for You?
- Develop a Business Plan
- Create a Marketing Plan
- Develop an Action Plan
- Setting Up Your Office
- Financial Matters
- Setting Your Rates
- Contracts and Letters of Agreement
- Getting Paid
5 Finding Clients
- Types of Clients
- Marketing Your Services
- Promoting Yourself
- Preparing Proposals
- Responding to Inquiries
- First Meeting with a New Client
- Serving Clients
- Working with Subcontractors and Vendors
- Hiring Help
- Differences Between Employees and Contractors
How Will You Benefit?
- Fast track your career in public relations
- Learn the inside secrets of how to become a event management pro in months not years!
- Study an public relations course that was designed in conjunction with the public relations industry
- Free up valuable time, don't waste time and money travelling to classes
- Study at your own pace whenever and wherever you are
- Have access to a tutor who works in the industry you are training for
- Easy interest free payment plans from as low as £25 per week
- Exciting, diverse projects
- The opportunity to meet celebrities and other public figures
- Freebies - see your event for free
- Recognition - build your reputation with every successful event
Start reaping the benefits by enrolling today!
Start an exciting media related career which plays an integral hand in forming and analysing public reactions, information and behaviour for corporations, brands, celebrities, governments, political party's, non-profit groups and many other organisations who heavily rely on Public Relations personnel.
Why complete a Public Relations training program? With the right credentials, you can gain excellent positions as a:
- Communications consultant
- Marketing analyst
- Product manager
- Public relations consultant
- Public relations officer
Course Levels Explained
Qualifications recognises the graduates capacity for initiative and judgment across a broad range of technical and management functions. Diploma holders typically have personal responsibility and autonomy (semi-independence) in performing technical operations or organising others in the workplace.
There are NO previous work or education requirements for entry into any course level. Students may enrol directly into the diploma or advanced diploma levels without completing lower ranked qualifications. Graduates can expect higher course levels to result in higher potential salary, positions and skill capabilities.
The average time within which students complete studies is:
Diploma Level-24 weeks
ICI courses allow you to study at your own pace with no assignment deadlines. This means that you determine the pace of the course and within which time period you will ultimately complete your studies in.
- Completing your course with ICI is flexible as you can fast-track and graduate in a matter of months. You complete activities and submit assignments whenever you are ready.
- The maximum time given to complete a program is three years.
Study Mode: Online Learning
This entire course is carried out via Distance Learning (also known as correspondence learning). Distance learning is ideal if you need to adapt around work, family, or other commitments. It is also extremely beneficial should you simply wish to fast track your studies (and career) and not be locked into a timetable.
Our course content and learning experience ensure that your course is relevant and interesting. Learning, tutorial assistance and assessments take place whenever and wherever you are in the country or world. It takes place at your own pace on your own terms to fit your lifestyle. As an ICI student, you'll never endure a pop quiz, spend countless hours and hundreds of dollars travelling, and never be late with an assignment or for class.
Enrolments statistics reveal that students from the following categories are currently taking advantage of the distance learning experience at ICI:
- Government, business & industry employers 32%
- High school leavers 20%
- Individuals looking to start a business or change career paths 18%
- Individuals already in the industry looking to formalise and/or update knowledge and seek a promotion 11%
- Military personal 11%
- Stay at home mothers 8%
Recognition & Accreditation
This course is recognised and accredited by the International Association of Private Career Colleges (IAPCC). The courses offered by ICI are unique as they take a very 'hands on' approach. Our courses are not designed to teach you just the 'theory' behind the industry - they are written and tutored by industry professionals and will fast-track you into a new career of your choice.
Various government departments and business's have enrolled their own staff with ICI for further training and development and is a strong indicator of acceptance and recognition by employers and industry.
The following is a partial list of companies and government departments which have enrolled or sponsored staff into ICI courses:
- Ministry of Defence
- Sports Centre, University of Kent
- Department of Tourism, Regional Development & Industry
- The Placement People
- Skill Hire
- Metcash Trading Ltd
- Navman Technologies
- The European Fund
- Employment Directions Network
- The Salvation Army
- Calvin Klein
- John Paul College
- Legal Aid Commission
- Melton Council
- Mitsubishi Corporation
- Commonwealth Bank
- American Express
- Clayton UTZ
- Hennikers Solicitors
- Villari Lawyers
- Prisoners Education Trust (HM Prison Service)
- Uniting Care Institute of Family Practice
- Workplace Authority
- Centacare Employment Group
- Employment Directions
- MAX Employment
- Gunnebo (Security)
- Brookfield Multiplex
- Coles Myer Ltd
Already in the Profession or Industry?
This course and qualification is a great way of consolidating existing knowledge via Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), updating your industry skills and contributing towards your professional development. It is also one of the most practical steps you can take towards working towards gaining a promotion or better paid position.
Course fees can be claimed as a tax deduction as long as the course is sufficiently connected to your work activities.
What Do I Get?
All materials essential for course completion are included in the cost of the course fee. Upon enrolment, students receive:
- All required study materials and course notes
- Practical assignment projects with constructive tutor feedback
- Industry based tutor who will service all of your course and career questions and guidance needs
- Student ID card giving students access to thousands of discounts both at home and overseas! Save on transport, accommodation, communications, food, shopping, movies and more!
On successful completion of the course you will receive:
- A graduation certificate officially recognizing your successful completion of studies and qualifications as an public relations specialist
- Transcripts indicating units completed
- Letter of recommendation and validation for current and future employers
- Post-nominal letters placed after your name which indicate that you hold the relevant qualification. For example: John Smith, DipPR
- Job search assistance: Graduate Career Services Program ( Click to learn more ).