About Counselling & Psychology, UG:Diploma - at International Career Institute
Course Outline: What You Will Cover
Become a qualified counsellor. The course provides an opportunity to interact with and learn from very successful, highly qualified and experienced professionals. It also allows you to enter one of the fastest growing professions. Students will complete the following units:
1 Counselling Skills 2 The Counselling Practice 3 Interview Techniques & Questioning 4 Facilitating Solutions 5 Counselling Sessions 6 Problem Solving 7 Counselling Approaches 8 Psychology 9 Mental Health 10 Welfare Practice 11 Communications Techniques 12 Ethics and the Counselling Practice
How Will You Benefit?
- Fast track your career as a counsellor
- Learn the inside secrets of how to become a counselling pro in months not years!
- Study a counselling course that was designed in conjunction with senior members of the profession
- Free up valuable time, don't waste time and money travelling to classes
- Study at your own pace whenever and wherever you are
- Have access to a tutor who works in the industry you are training for
- Easy interest free payment plans from as low as £25 per week
Start reaping the benefits by enrolling today!
Watch our Course Video
If you want to become a counsellor, this course is for you!
The job prospects for counsellors has reached a new all time high. Over the past five years employment in this sector increased by 57.1% to 30 000 (compared to growth of 10.9% for all occupations). More than half of workers (64.5%) are employed full-time. Employment growth over the next five years is expected to grow very strongly (3.2% per annum compared to 1.8% for all occupations).
The demand for counsellors in society enables you to assist those who need assistance via community based counselling organisations or even by setting up your very own practice which is what most graduates aim to do.
What exactly is a counsellor?
Counsellors consult with people to develop rehabilitation plans taking account of vocational, social, medical and psychological needs. Counsellors provide information and guidance on vocational, relationship, social (drug use, employment, ethical issues etc) and educational difficulties and issues, and work with people to help them to identify and define their emotional issues through the use of therapeutic models.
Graduates find that their new knowledge and skills makes them suitable for positions in: Counselling (eg. family counselling, grief counselling, conflict resolution, education counselling etc), welfare and social work, education, sports coaching, life coaching, personal training, rehabilitation and health care, mental illness, marketing and sales, industrial relations and management.
Course Levels Explained
This course leads to the awarding of either a Diploma or Advanced Diploma depending on which level you enrol at. The different levels are achieved by the amount of course content and assessments involved within each module at the intermediate (Diploma) and advanced (Advanced Diploma) levels. You will be able to learn about what the difference is between the two levels below:
Qualifications recognises the graduates capacity for initiative and judgment across a broad range of technical and management functions. Diploma holders typically have personal responsibility and autonomy (semi-independence) in performing technical operations or organising others in the workplace.
The graduate is able to apply a significant range of principles and techniques across various contexts and functions. Graduates can expect to be involved in significant judgments, planning, and leadership/guidance functions related to workplace products, services, operations or procedures.
There are NO previous work or education requirements for entry into any course level. Students may enrol directly into the diploma or advanced diploma levels without completing lower ranked qualifications. Graduates can expect higher course levels to result in higher potential salary, positions and skill capabilities.
The average time within which students complete studies is:
Diploma Level-24 weeks--Advanced Diploma Level-31 weeks
ICI courses allow you to study at your own pace with no assignment deadlines. This means that you determine the pace of the course and within which time period you will ultimately complete your studies in.
- Completing your course with ICI is flexible as you can fast-track and graduate in a matter of months. You complete activities and submit assignments whenever you are ready.
- The maximum time given to complete a program is three years.
Study Mode: Online Learning
This entire course is carried out via Distance Learning (also known as correspondence learning). Distance learning is ideal if you need to adapt around work, family, or other commitments. It is also extremely beneficial should you simply wish to fast track your studies (and career) and not be locked into a timetable.
Our course content and learning experience ensure that your course is relevant and interesting. Learning, tutorial assistance and assessments take place whenever and wherever you are in the country or world. It takes place at your own pace on your own terms to fit your lifestyle. As an ICI student, you'll never endure a pop quiz, spend countless hours and hundreds of dollars travelling, and never be late with an assignment or for class.
Enrolments statistics reveal that students from the following categories are currently taking advantage of the distance learning experience at ICI:
- Government, business & industry employers 32%
- High school leavers 20%
- Individuals looking to start a business or change career paths 18%
- Individuals already in the industry looking to formalise and/or update knowledge and seek a promotion 11%
- Military personal 11%
- Stay at home mothers 8%
Recognition & Accreditation
This course is recognised and accredited by the International Association of Private Career Colleges (IAPCC). The courses offered by ICI are unique as they take a very 'hands on' approach. Our courses are not designed to teach you just the 'theory' behind the industry - they are written and tutored by industry professionals and will fast-track you into a new career of your choice.
ICI is an Approved Training Provider with the International Association of Complementary Therapists (IICT). IICT is a leading professional body representing practitioners operating within the natural health industry. ICI students and graduates are able to obtain: Full, Associate and Affiliate Membership. Membership provides numerous benefits such as access to discounted Professional Indemnity and Public Liability Insurance.
ICI is a CMA College Member and is found on the Complementary Medical Association's Register of Education Providers. ICI has met the expectations of this global organization which represents more than 100 colleges and 15,000 practitioners in the field. (Relevant to: Counselling, Natural Health, Nutrition and Massage courses offered by ICI).
ICI is recognized by Accredited Counsellors, Coaches, Psychotherapists, and Hynotherapists (ACCPH). ACCPH is an independent professional body and register for people in the counselling and psychology professions. ICI graduates may apply to the ACCPH for membership.
Various government departments and business's have enrolled their own staff with ICI for further training and development and is a strong indicator of acceptance and recognition by employers and industry.
The following is a partial list of companies and government departments which have enrolled or sponsored staff into ICI courses:
- Ministry of Defence
- Sports Centre, University of Kent
- Department of Tourism, Regional Development & Industry
- The Placement People
- Skill Hire
- Metcash Trading Ltd
- Navman Technologies
- The European Fund
- Employment Directions Network
- The Salvation Army
- Calvin Klein
- John Paul College
- Legal Aid Commission
- Melton Council
- Mitsubishi Corporation
- Commonwealth Bank
- American Express
- Clayton UTZ
- Hennikers Solicitors
- Villari Lawyers
- Prisoners Education Trust (HM Prison Service)
- Uniting Care Institute of Family Practice
- Workplace Authority
- Centacare Employment Group
- Employment Directions
- MAX Employment
- Gunnebo (Security)
- Brookfield Multiplex
- Coles Myer Ltd
Already in the Profession or Industry?
This course and qualification is a great way of consolidating existing knowledge via Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), updating your industry skills and contributing towards your professional development. It is also one of the most practical steps you can take towards working towards gaining a promotion or better paid position.
Course fees can be claimed as a tax deduction as long as the course is sufficiently connected to your work activities.
What Do I Get?
All materials essential for course completion are included in the cost of the course fee. Upon enrolment, students receive:
- All required study materials and course notes
- Practical assignment projects with constructive tutor feedback
- Industry based tutor who will service all of your course and career questions and guidance needs
- Student ID card giving students access to thousands of discounts both at home and overseas! Save on transport, accommodation, communications, food, shopping, movies and more!
On successful completion of the course you will receive:
- A graduation certificate officially recognizing your successful completion of studies and qualifications as a counsellor
- Transcripts indicating units completed
- Letter of recommendation and validation for current and future employers
- Post-nominal letters placed after your name which indicate that you hold the relevant qualification. For example: John Smith, DipCouns
- Job search assistance: Graduate Career Services Program (Click to learn more)