About Political Science, UG:Diploma - at International Career Institute
Course Outline: What You Will Cover
Have a job that makes a difference! There are certain skills you need to become a successful political scientist. The ICI Political Science Program helps you learn them quickly and conveniently.
1 Introduction to Political Science
Political science (also political studies) - the study of political behaviour and an examination of the acquisition and application of power.
2 Political Science
Political philosophy - the study of fundamental questions about the state,government, politics, liberty, justice, property, rights, law and the enforcement of a legal code by authority.
3 Theories of Political Behaviour
An aspect of political science, attempt to quantify and explain the influences that define a person's political views, ideology, and levels of political participation.
Politics and ideology - an organized collection of ideas
5 International Law
- public international law, which involves for instance the United Nations, maritime law, international criminal law and the Geneva conventions.
- private international law or conflict of laws, which addresses the question of which legal jurisdiction cases may be heard in
- supranational law or the law of supranational organizations, which concerns at present regional agreements where the special distinguishing quality is that laws of nation states are held inapplicable when conflicting with a supranational legal system.
6 Political Systems
A political system is a system of politics and government. It is usually compared to the law system, economic system, cultural system, and other social systems. It is different from them, and can be generally defined on a spectrum from left, i.e. communism, anarchism and socialism to the right, i.e. fascism and conservatism.
7 Separation of Powers
A model for the governance of democratic states. Under this model, the state is divided into branches, and each branch of the state has separate and independent powers and areas of responsibility. The normal division of branches is into the Executive, the Legislative, and the Judicial.
7 Political Party
A political party is a political organization that seeks to attain political power within a government.
- Political parties
- The role of parties in politics
- Political parties today
- The History of political parties
- The legislative branch
- The executive branch
9 Political Campaign
An organized effort which to influence the decision making process within a specific group. In democracies, political campaigns often refer to electoral campaigns, wherein representatives are chosen or referenda are decided. Political campaigns also include organized efforts to alter policy within any institution.
An election is a decision making process where people choose people to hold official offices. This is the usual mechanism by which a democracy fills offices in the legislature, sometimes in the executive and judiciary, and for regional and local government.
A method of decision making wherein a group such as a meeting or an electorate attempts to gauge its opinion-usually as a final step following discussions or debates.
12 Public Administration and Bureaucracy
Public Administration can be broadly described as the development, implementation and study of government policy. Public Administration is linked to pursuing the public good by enhancing civil society and social justice.
13 Public Relations
The practice of managing and manipulating the flow of information between an organization and its public. Use of PR tactics are widespread amongst corporations marketing products and services, corporations attempting to influence legislators and politicians, non profit organisation seeking to raise funds and political parties campaigning for election and reflection.
How Will You Benefit?
- Fast track your career in politics and the public service
- Learn the inside secrets of how to become a political science pro in months not years!
- Study a political science course that was designed in conjunction with political science experts
- Free up valuable time, don't waste time and money travelling to classes
- Study at your own pace whenever and wherever you are
- Have access to a tutor who works in the industry you are training for
- Easy interest free payment plans from as low as £25 per week
Start reaping the benefits by enrolling today!
Imagine having a job where you can influence politics, work for issues you believe in, and help people across the country or even the world.
Your role in the world of politics will be exciting as well as important, with many benefits including the opportunity to travel and work with the most powerful people in your country. Course authors will share insider experience and advice to assist you launching your own career in the world of politics and public affairs.
It is sometimes thought that students only do politics to enter politics and become a politician. While training in political science will help if this is your career goal, political scientists have a much wider range of exciting and rewarding career opportunities in:
- all parts of government including legislative, executive and judicial branches at the local, state and national levels and internationally
- large and medium size businesses, lobbying, technology, law, consulting, services and communications
- all non-profit and community organisation.
Course Levels Explained
Qualifications recognises the graduates capacity for initiative and judgment across a broad range of technical and management functions. Diploma holders typically have personal responsibility and autonomy (semi-independence) in performing technical operations or organising others in the workplace.
There are NO previous work or education requirements for entry into any course level. Students may enrol directly into the diploma or advanced diploma levels without completing lower ranked qualifications. Graduates can expect higher course levels to result in higher potential salary, positions and skill capabilities.
The average time within which students complete studies is:
Diploma Level-24 weeks
ICI courses allow you to study at your own pace with no assignment deadlines. This means that you determine the pace of the course and within which time period you will ultimately complete your studies in.
- Completing your course with ICI is flexible as you can fast-track and graduate in a matter of months. You complete activities and submit assignments whenever you are ready.
- The maximum time given to complete a program is three years.
Study Mode: Online Learning
This entire course is carried out via Distance Learning (also known as correspondence learning). Distance learning is ideal if you need to adapt around work, family, or other commitments. It is also extremely beneficial should you simply wish to fast track your studies (and career) and not be locked into a timetable.
Our course content and learning experience ensure that your course is relevant and interesting. Learning, tutorial assistance and assessments take place whenever and wherever you are in the country or world. It takes place at your own pace on your own terms to fit your lifestyle. As an ICI student, you'll never endure a pop quiz, spend countless hours and hundreds of dollars travelling, and never be late with an assignment or for class.
Enrolments statistics reveal that students from the following categories are currently taking advantage of the distance learning experience at ICI:
- Government, business & industry employers 32%
- High school leavers 20%
- Individuals looking to start a business or change career paths 18%
- Individuals already in the industry looking to formalise and/or update knowledge and seek a promotion 11%
- Military personal 11%
- Stay at home mothers 8%
Recognition & Accreditation
This course is recognised and accredited by the International Association of Private Career Colleges (IAPCC). The courses offered by ICI are unique as they take a very 'hands on' approach. Our courses are not designed to teach you just the 'theory' behind the industry - they are written and tutored by industry professionals and will fast-track you into a new career of your choice.
Various government departments and business's have enrolled their own staff with ICI for further training and development and is a strong indicator of acceptance and recognition by employers and industry.
The following is a partial list of companies and government departments which have enrolled or sponsored staff into ICI courses:
- Ministry of Defence
- Sports Centre, University of Kent
- Department of Tourism, Regional Development & Industry
- The Placement People
- Skill Hire
- Metcash Trading Ltd
- Navman Technologies
- The European Fund
- Employment Directions Network
- The Salvation Army
- Calvin Klein
- John Paul College
- Legal Aid Commission
- Melton Council
- Mitsubishi Corporation
- Commonwealth Bank
- American Express
- Clayton UTZ
- Hennikers Solicitors
- Villari Lawyers
- Prisoners Education Trust (HM Prison Service)
- Uniting Care Institute of Family Practice
- Workplace Authority
- Centacare Employment Group
- Employment Directions
- MAX Employment
- Gunnebo (Security)
- Brookfield Multiplex
- Coles Myer Ltd
Already in the Profession or Industry?
This course and qualification is a great way of consolidating existing knowledge via Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), updating your industry skills and contributing towards your professional development. It is also one of the most practical steps you can take towards working towards gaining a promotion or better paid position.
Course fees can be claimed as a tax deduction as long as the course is sufficiently connected to your work activities.
What Do I Get?
All materials essential for course completion are included in the cost of the course fee. Upon enrolment, students receive:
- All required study materials and course notes
- Practical assignment projects with constructive tutor feedback
- Industry based tutor who will service all of your course and career questions and guidance needs
- Student ID card giving students access to thousands of discounts both at home and overseas! Save on transport, accommodation, communications, food, shopping, movies and more!
On successful completion of the course you will receive:
- A graduation certificate officially recognizing your successful completion of studies and qualifications as a political scientist
- Transcripts indicating units completed
- Letter of recommendation and validation for current and future employers
- Post-nominal letters placed after your name which indicate that you hold the relevant qualification. For example: John Smith, DipPS
- Job search assistance: Graduate Career Services Program (Click to learn more).