About Massage, UG:Diploma - at International Career Institute
Course Outline: What You Will Cover
Become a Masseuse! The course provides an opportunity to interact with and learn from very successful, highly qualified and experienced professionals. It also allows you to enter a fast growing profession with lucrative hourly rates and self employment opportunities. Students will complete the following units:
1 Human Anatomy and Physiology (Structure, Tissues and Systems) 2 Effects, Benefits, Indications, and Contraindications of Massage 3 Equipment and Products 4 Massage in Medicine 5 Athletic and Sport Massage 6 Consultation and Documentation 7 Equipment and Products 8 Provide Aesthetic Aromatic Massage
- Prepare for treatment
- Perform aromatic massage
- Provide aftercare
9 Provide Body Treatments
- Prepare for treatment
- Perform body massage
- Apply electrical body treatments
- Provide aftercare
10 Provide Superficial Lymph Drainage Massage
- Identify the lymphatic system
- Prepare for treatment
- Perform lymph drainage massage
11 Use Reflexology Relaxation Techniques
- Prepare for treatment
- Apply reflexology relaxation techniques
12 Preliminaries and Draping
- Equipment and Products
- The consultation
- Draping / Sheet Methods
- Positioning and Bolsters
- Definition of Massage Classifications
- Application of Massage Strokes:
- Torch (superficial & deep)
- Gliding Movements
- Kneading Movements and Petrissage
- Friction Movements
- Percussion Movements
14 Body Mechanics
- Finding Your Centre
- Hand Positions
- Shoulder Awareness
- Applying Deeper Pressure
- Table Mechanics
- Summary of Body Mechanics
- Movement Exercises
- Exercises to Counter Repetitive Posture
15 Application of Massage Techniques, Movements & Styles
- Step-by-step Procedure for Massage:
- Massage of the Face
- Massage of the Neck
- Massage of the Arm and Hand
- Massage of the Feet
- Massage of the Front Leg
- Massage of the Back
- Finishing Massage
16 Business Practices (employment / running your own practice)
How Will You Benefit?
- Fast track your career in massage
- Learn the inside secrets of how to become a massage professional in months not years!
- Study a massage course that was designed in conjunction with senior members of the profession
- Free up valuable time, don't waste time and money travelling to classes
- Study at your own pace whenever and wherever you are
- Have access to a tutor who works in the industry you are training for
- Easy interest free payment plans from as low as £25 per week
Start reaping the benefits by enrolling today!
More and more people are discovering the power of massage therapy to feel better from the inside. Medical professionals have long recognized massage therapy as a valid, highly effective method of managing all types of tension, stiffness and body pain. On top of that, medical research has proven that aside from pain management, massage therapy also increases flexibility, boosts immunity, improves breathing, sleeping and blood circulation, treats patients with Alzheimer's, lowers high blood pressure and helps ease depression and anxiety. Ultimately it is a highly effective natural therapy that enhances health & well being.
Massage therapists have the wonderful opportunity to build a great career or business for themselves, while helping others relax, feel great and lead healthier lifestyles.
You could also expect to be earning £22 to £33+ per hour in the massage industry.
New spas, massage practices and fitness centres are constantly being opened to serve the growing number of people turning to massage therapy to add an overall feeling of health and relaxation to their lifestyle.
The nature of the massage industry allows for fantastic self employment and employment prospects. It offers freedom, flexibility and security. Forecasts by the Bureau of Statistics point to strong projected growth in the coming years. Not surprisingly Massage Therapy is today one of the most popular alternative health treatments.
Take the first step towards your career in Massage Therapy by enrolling into massage course now!
Course Levels Explained
Qualifications recognises the graduates capacity for initiative and judgment across a broad range of technical and management functions. Diploma holders typically have personal responsibility and autonomy (semi-independence) in performing technical operations or organising others in the workplace.
There are NO previous work or education requirements for entry into any course level. Students may enrol directly into the diploma or advanced diploma levels without completing lower ranked qualifications. Graduates can expect higher course levels to result in higher potential salary, positions and skill capabilities.
The average time within which students complete studies is:
Diploma Level-24 weeks
ICI courses allow you to study at your own pace with no assignment deadlines. This means that you determine the pace of the course and within which time period you will ultimately complete your studies in.
- Completing your course with ICI is flexible as you can fast-track and graduate in a matter of months. You complete activities and submit assignments whenever you are ready.
- The maximum time given to complete a program is three years.
Study Mode: Online Learning
This entire course is carried out via Distance Learning (also known as correspondence learning). Distance learning is ideal if you need to adapt around work, family, or other commitments. It is also extremely beneficial should you simply wish to fast track your studies (and career) and not be locked into a timetable.
Our course content and learning experience ensure that your course is relevant and interesting. Learning, tutorial assistance and assessments take place whenever and wherever you are in the country or world. It takes place at your own pace on your own terms to fit your lifestyle. As an ICI student, you'll never endure a pop quiz, spend countless hours and hundreds of dollars travelling, and never be late with an assignment or for class.
Enrolments statistics reveal that students from the following categories are currently taking advantage of the distance learning experience at ICI:
- Government, business & industry employers 32%
- High school leavers 20%
- Individuals looking to start a business or change career paths 18%
- Individuals already in the industry looking to formalise and/or update knowledge and seek a promotion 11%
- Military personal 11%
- Stay at home mothers 8%
Recognition & Accreditation
This course is recognised and accredited by the International Association of Private Career Colleges (IAPCC). The courses offered by ICI are unique as they take a very 'hands on' approach. Our courses are not designed to teach you just the 'theory' behind the industry - they are written and tutored by industry professionals and will fast-track you into a new career of your choice.
ICI is an Approved Training Provider with the International Institute of Complementary Therapists (IICT). IICT is a leading professional body representing practitioners operating within the natural health industry. ICI students and graduates are able to obtain IICT Membership. Membership provides numerous benefits such as access to discounted Professional Indemnity and Public Liability Insurance.
ICI is a CMA College Member and is found on the Complementary Medical Association's Register of Education Providers. ICI has met the expectations of this global organization which represents more than 100 colleges and 15,000 practitioners in the field. (Relevant to: Counselling, Natural Health, Nutrition and Massage courses offered by ICI).
Various government departments and business's have enrolled their own staff with ICI for further training and development and is a strong indicator of acceptance and recognition by employers and industry.
The following is a partial list of companies and government departments which have enrolled or sponsored staff into ICI courses:
- Ministry of Defence
- Sports Centre, University of Kent
- Department of Tourism, Regional Development & Industry
- The Placement People
- Skill Hire
- Metcash Trading Ltd
- Navman Technologies
- The European Fund
- Employment Directions Network
- The Salvation Army
- Calvin Klein
- John Paul College
- Legal Aid Commission
- Melton Council
- Mitsubishi Corporation
- Commonwealth Bank
- American Express
- Clayton UTZ
- Hennikers Solicitors
- Villari Lawyers
- Prisoners Education Trust (HM Prison Service)
- Uniting Care Institute of Family Practice
- Workplace Authority
- Centacare Employment Group
- Employment Directions
- MAX Employment
- Gunnebo (Security)
- Brookfield Multiplex
- Coles Myer Ltd
Already in the Profession or Industry?
This course and qualification is a great way of consolidating existing knowledge via Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), updating your industry skills and contributing towards your professional development. It is also one of the most practical steps you can take towards working towards gaining a promotion or better paid position.
Course fees can be claimed as a tax deduction as long as the course is sufficiently connected to your work activities.
What Do I Get?
All materials essential for course completion are included in the cost of the course fee. Upon enrolment, students receive:
- All required study materials and course notes
- Practical assignment projects with constructive tutor feedback
- Industry based tutor who will service all of your course and career questions and guidance needs
- Student ID card giving students access to thousands of discounts both at home and overseas! Save on transport, accommodation, communications, food, shopping, movies and more!
On successful completion of the course you will receive:
- A graduation certificate officially recognizing your successful completion of studies and qualifications as a massage
- Transcripts indicating units completed
- Letter of recommendation and validation for current and future employers
- Post-nominal letters placed after your name which indicate that you hold the relevant qualification. For example: John Smith, DipMsg
- Job search assistance: Graduate Career Services Program (Click to learn more).