Course Outline: What You Will Cover
The ICI Jewellery Design course has been designed in consultation with the Jewellery Design industry and teaches you the skills that you need to succeed quickly and conveniently. Course units include:
- About Designing Jewellery / Jewellery Past to Present
- Benefits of the Career
2 How to Design Jewellery
How to Design different types of jewellery
- Jewellery Materials
- Gemstones and Synthetics
- Malleables and Moldables
- Natural Materials
Equipment and supplies
- Workspace Equipment
- Hand Tools
- Beading Supplies
- Soldering Tools
- Findings, Stampings, and Finishing
- Suppliers to Use
The Design Process
- Developing Your Ideas
- Sketching It Out
- Choosing Your Materials
- Patterns or Moulds
- Samples and Prototypes
Making Your Own Jewellery
- Health and Safety
- Outsourcing Production
- Communicating Your Design Ideas
- Areas of Production Expertise
- Finding Production Specialists
3 Preparing for Your Career
- Sense of Aesthetics and Design
- Hand-Eye Coordination
- Communication Skills
- Sales Ability
- Tradeshows and Craft Fairs
4 Getting Hired
- Types of Employers
- How to Find Job Openings
- Positions to Apply For
- Finding Advertised Positions & Unadvertised Positions
- Job Hunting Materials: Your Resume, Cover Letter & Portfolio
- Finished Jewellery Samples
- Interviews, Making a Great Impression & Interview Questions
5 Starting Your Own Business
- Your Unique Concept
- Creating a Business Plan
- Start-up Costs & Getting Financing
- Legal Matters & Considerations
- Setting up Your Workspace / Workshop
- Employees and Contractors
- Setting Your Prices
- Wholesale vs. Retail Pricing
- Calculating Price
- Fulfilling Orders
- Establishing a Delivery Date
- Custom Design Services
- Accepting Payment / Jewellery Design
- Managing Wholesale Accounts
6 Selling Your Designs
- Marketing Materials (portfolio, samples, website, stylsheet & price lists)
- Selling to Individuals
- Craft Shows and Galleries
- The Internet
- Hosting a Promotional Event
- Finding Wholesale Buyers
How Will You Benefit?
- Discover how you can quickly and easily learn to create stunning pieces of wearable jewellery
- Fast track your career in jewellery design
- Learn the inside secrets of how to become a jewellery design pro in months not years!
- Study an jewellery design course that was designed in conjunction with the jewellery design industry
- Free up valuable time, don't waste time and money travelling to classes
- Study at your own pace whenever and wherever you are
- Have access to a tutor who works in the industry you are training for
- Easy interest free payment plans from as low as £25 per week
Start reaping the benefits by enrolling today!
Imagine getting paid to use your creativity to dream up designs for beautiful jewellery. You can enjoy an exciting, creative, high-paying career when you become a jewellery designer!
Jewellery designers are artists who spend their days defining style with their distinctive, eye-catching pieces.
In this creative career you can find work as part of a busy design studio, although many jewellery designers choose the freedom, independence, and flexibility of running their own business.
Course Levels Explained
This course leads to the awarding of either a Diploma or Advanced Diploma depending on which level you enrol at. The different levels are achieved by the amount of course content and assessments involved within each module at the intermediate (Diploma) and advanced (Advanced Diploma) levels. You will be able to learn about what the difference is between the two levels below:
Qualifications recognises the graduates capacity for initiative and judgment across a broad range of technical and management functions. Diploma holders typically have personal responsibility and autonomy (semi-independence) in performing technical operations or organising others in the workplace.
The graduate is able to apply a significant range of principles and techniques across various contexts and functions. Graduates can expect to be involved in significant judgments, planning, and leadership/guidance functions related to workplace products, services, operations or procedures.
There are NO previous work or education requirements for entry into any course level. Students may enrol directly into the diploma or advanced diploma levels without completing lower ranked qualifications. Graduates can expect higher course levels to result in higher potential salary, positions and skill capabilities.
Diploma Level-24 weeks--Advanced Diploma Level-31 weeks
ICI courses allow you to study at your own pace with no assignment deadlines. This means that you determine the pace of the course and within which time period you will ultimately complete your studies in.
- Completing your course with ICI is flexible as you can fast-track and graduate in a matter of months. You complete activities and submit assignments whenever you are ready.
- The maximum time given to complete a program is three years.
Study Mode: Online Learning
This entire course is carried out via Distance Learning (also known as correspondence learning). Distance learning is ideal if you need to adapt around work, family, or other commitments. It is also extremely beneficial should you simply wish to fast track your studies (and career) and not be locked into a timetable.
Our course content and learning experience ensure that your course is relevant and interesting. Learning, tutorial assistance and assessments take place whenever and wherever you are in the country or world. It takes place at your own pace on your own terms to fit your lifestyle. As an ICI student, you'll never endure a pop quiz, spend countless hours and hundreds of dollars travelling, and never be late with an assignment or for class.
Enrolments statistics reveal that students from the following categories are currently taking advantage of the distance learning experience at ICI:
- Government, business & industry employers 32%
- High school leavers 20%
- Individuals looking to start a business or change career paths 18%
- Individuals already in the industry looking to formalise and/or update knowledge and seek a promotion 11%
- Military personal 11%
- Stay at home mothers 8%
Recognition & Accreditation
This course is recognised and accredited by the International Association of Private Career Colleges (IAPCC). The courses offered by ICI are unique as they take a very 'hands on' approach. Our courses are not designed to teach you just the 'theory' behind the industry - they are written and tutored by industry professionals and will fast-track you into a new career of your choice.
Various government departments and business's have enrolled their own staff with ICI for further training and development and is a strong indicator of acceptance and recognition by employers and industry.
The following is a partial list of companies and government departments which have enrolled or sponsored staff into ICI courses:
- Ministry of Defence
- Sports Centre, University of Kent
- Department of Tourism, Regional Development & Industry
- The Placement People
- Skill Hire
- Metcash Trading Ltd
- Navman Technologies
- The European Fund
- Employment Directions Network
- The Salvation Army
- Calvin Klein
- John Paul College
- Legal Aid Commission
- Melton Council
- Mitsubishi Corporation
- Commonwealth Bank
- American Express
- Clayton UTZ
- Hennikers Solicitors
- Villari Lawyers
- Prisoners Education Trust (HM Prison Service)
- Uniting Care Institute of Family Practice
- Workplace Authority
- Centacare Employment Group
- Employment Directions
- MAX Employment
- Gunnebo (Security)
- Brookfield Multiplex
- Coles Myer Ltd
Already in the Profession or Industry?
This course and qualification is a great way of consolidating existing knowledge via Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), updating your industry skills and contributing towards your professional development. It is also one of the most practical steps you can take towards working towards gaining a promotion or better paid position.
Course fees can be claimed as a tax deduction as long as the course is sufficiently connected to your work activities.
What Do I Get?
Upon enrolment, students receive:
- All required course study notes
- Practical assignment projects with constructive tutor feedback
- Industry based tutor who will service all of your course and career questions and guidance needs
- Student ID card giving students access to thousands of discounts both at home and overseas! Save on transport, accommodation, communications, food, shopping, movies and more!
On successful completion of the course you will receive:
- A graduation certificate officially recognizing your successful completion of studies and qualifications as an jewellery designer
- Transcripts indicating units completed
- Letter of recommendation and validation for current and future employers
- Post-nominal letters placed after your name which indicate that you hold the relevant qualification. For example: John Smith, DipJewlDsgn
- Job search assistance: Graduate Career Services Program (Click to learn more).