The ICI floristry course has been designed in consultation with the floristry industry and teaches you the skills that you need to succeed quickly and conveniently. Course units include:
- Introduction to Floristry
- Benefits of a Career in Floristry
2 Creating Floral Arrangements
Services Provided By A Florist
- How to Process, Store and Maintain Flowers
- Flowers, Greens, and Plants
- Popular Flowers
- Greens and Fillers
- Plants You Should Know
- Elements and Principles of Design
Colour and Design
- Design Basics
- Arrangements and Design Styles You Need to Know
How to Make Floral Arrangements
- How to Make a Container Arrangement
- How to Make a Vase Arrangement
- How to Make a Hand-Tied Bouquet
- How to Make a Corsage or Boutonniere
- How to Make Wedding Bouquet
- How to Make a Funeral Wreath
- How to Make a Basket Garden
- How to Make a Fruit Basket
- How to Dress a Plant
- Meeting With Clients
- Flowers for Wedding Party Members
- Décor for the Ceremony and Reception
- Making the Arrangements
- Delivery or Pickup of Arrangements
- How To Find Job Openings: Advertised & Unadvertised Positions
- Part-Time Jobs and Seasonal Help
- How to Create a Job
- Shop Visits
- Job Hunting Materials: Prepare a Resume, Cover Letter & Portfolio
- What Florists are Looking For
- How to Make a Great Impression
- Interview Questions, Discussing Salary & Following Up
4Starting Your Own Flower Shop
Options for Starting a Florist Business
- Buying an Established Shop
- Opening a New Flower Shop
- Creating a Business Plan
- Financing, Insurance & Legal Matters
- Choosing a Business Name and Logo
- Choosing a Location
- Rental Costs
- Setup Fees & Price List
- Types of Delivery Service
Supplies and Equipment
- Tools of the Trade
- Essential Equipment
- Business Equipment
- Store Layout and Maintenance
Wholesalers and Suppliers
- Types of Wholesalers and Producers
- Choosing Materials
- Advance Orders / Standing Orders
- Coordination with Wholesalers for Special Orders
5Getting and Keeping Customers
Choose Your Target Markets
- Walk-In Customers
- Phone Customers
- Online Customers
- Hotels and Restaurants
- Funeral Homes
Marketing Your Business
- Advertising & Promotional Tools
- Trade Shows and Events
- Free Media Publicity
How Will You Benefit?
- Fast track your career in floristry
- Learn the inside secrets of how to become a floristry pro in months not years!
- Study an floristry course that was designed in conjunction with the floristry industry
- Free up valuable time, don’t waste time and money travelling to classes
- Study at your own pace whenever and wherever you are
- Have access to a tutor who works in the industry you are training for
- Easy interest free payment plans from as low as £25 per week
Start reaping the benefits by enrolling today!
Imagine having an exciting high-paying job that lets you use your creativity to brighten people’s lives with flowers. Welcome to the world of floristry!
There are few careers that offer so many benefits. As a florist (floral designer or flower shop owner), you will be surrounded by beauty every day and have a career that is fun and interesting. You will have a hands-on job that gives you a sense of satisfaction with the results of your work. If you start your own florist business you can enjoy the freedom and financial rewards of being your own boss.
As a florist you will be involved with some of the most significant moments in people’s lives. As a florist, you will help people:
- express love with an elegant box of long-stemmed roses for Valentine’s Day
- welcome a new baby into the world
- honour a mother with a beautiful bouquet on Mother’s Day
- celebrate a wedding with custom-designed bouquets and other flowers
- brighten someone’s stay in a hospital
- add the perfect touch to parties and other events
- remember loved ones with beautiful floral funeral tributes.
Course Levels Explained
This course leads to the awarding of either a Diploma or Advanced Diploma depending on which level you enrol at. The different levels are achieved by the amount of course content and assessments involved within each module at the intermediate (Diploma) and advanced (Advanced Diploma) levels. You will be able to learn about what the difference is between the two levels below:
Qualifications recognises the graduates capacity for initiative and judgment across a broad range of technical and management functions. Diploma holders typically have personal responsibility and autonomy (semi-independence) in performing technical operations or organising others in the workplace.
The graduate is able to apply a significant range of principles and techniques across various contexts and functions. Graduates can expect to be involved in significant judgments, planning, and leadership/guidance functions related to workplace products, services, operations or procedures.
There are NO previous work or education requirements for entry into any course level. Students may enrol directly into the diploma or advanced diploma levels without completing lower ranked qualifications. Graduates can expect higher course levels to result in higher potential salary, positions and skill capabilities.
The average time within which students complete studies is:
- DIPLOMA LEVEL: 24 WEEKS
- ADVANCED DIPLOMA LEVEL: 31 WEEKS
ICI courses allow you to study at your own pace with no assignment deadlines. This means that you determine the pace of the course and within which time period you will ultimately complete your studies in.
- Completing your course with ICI is flexible as you can fast-track and graduate in a matter of months. You complete activities and submit assignments whenever you are ready.
- The maximum time given to complete a program is three years.
Study Mode: Online Learning
This entire course is carried out via Distance Learning (also known as correspondence learning). Distance learning is ideal if you need to adapt around work, family, or other commitments. It is also extremely beneficial should you simply wish to fast track your studies (and career) and not be locked into a timetable.
Our course content and learning experience ensure that your course is relevant and interesting. Learning, tutorial assistance and assessments take place whenever and wherever you are in the country or world. It takes place at your own pace on your own terms to fit your lifestyle. As an ICI student, you’ll never endure a pop quiz, spend countless hours and hundreds of dollars travelling, and never be late with an assignment or for class.
Enrolments statistics reveal that students from the following categories are currently taking advantage of the distance learning experience at ICI:
- Government, business & industry employers 32%
- High school leavers 20%
- Individuals looking to start a business or change career paths 18%
- Individuals already in the industry looking to formalise and/or update knowledge and seek a promotion 11%
- Military personal 11%
- Stay at home mothers 8%
Recognition & Accreditation
This course is recognised and accredited by the International Association of Private Career Colleges (IAPCC). The courses offered by ICI are unique as they take a very “hands on” approach. Our courses are not designed to teach you just the “theory” behind the industry – they are written and tutored by industry professionals and will fast-track you into a new career of your choice.
Various government departments and business’s have enrolled their own staff with ICI for further training and development and is a strong indicator of acceptance and recognition by employers and industry.
The following is a partial list of companies and government departments which have enrolled or sponsored staff into ICI courses:
- Ministry of Defence
- Sports Centre, University of Kent
- Department of Tourism, Regional Development & Industry
- The Placement People
- Skill Hire
- Metcash Trading Ltd
- Navman Technologies
- The European Fund
- Employment Directions Network
- The Salvation Army
- Calvin Klein
- John Paul College
- Legal Aid Commission
- Melton Council
- Mitsubishi Corporation
- Commonwealth Bank
- American Express
- Clayton UTZ
- Hennikers Solicitors
- Villari Lawyers
- Prisoners Education Trust (HM Prison Service)
- Uniting Care Institute of Family Practice
- Workplace Authority
- Centacare Employment Group
- Employment Directions
- MAX Employment
- Gunnebo (Security)
- Brookfield Multiplex
- Coles Myer Ltd
Already in the Profession or Industry?
This course and qualification is a great way of consolidating existing knowledge via Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), updating your industry skills and contributing towards your professional development. It is also one of the most practical steps you can take towards working towards gaining a promotion or better paid position.
Course fees can be claimed as a tax deduction as long as the course is sufficiently connected to your work activities.
What Do I Get?
All of the below listed items essential for course completion are included in the cost of the course fee. Upon enrolment, students receive:
- All required course notes
- Wholesale flower grower and distributor contacts for purchase of flowers
- Practical assignment projects with constructive tutor feedback
- Industry based tutor who will service all of your course and career questions and guidance needs
- Student ID card giving students access to thousands of discounts both at home and overseas! Save on transport, accommodation, communications, food, shopping, movies and more!
On successful completion of the course you will receive:
- A graduation certificate officially recognizing your successful completion of studies and qualifications as a florist
- Transcripts indicating units completed
- Letter of recommendation and validation for current and future employers
- Post-nominal letters placed after your name which indicate that you hold the relevant qualification. For example: John Smith, DipFL
- Job search assistance: Graduate Career Services Program (Click to learn more).