About Dental Assistant, UG:Diploma - at International Career Institute
Course Outline: What You Will Cover
Become a Dental Assistant. The course provides an opportunity to interact with and learn from very successful, highly qualified and experienced professionals. It also assists you in pursuing a stable and secure career as a dental assistant. Students will complete the following units:
1 Introduction to the Dental Profession 2 Prevention and Nutrition 3 Oral Health and Preventative Techniques 4 Occupations Health and Safety Administration 5 Preparation for Patient Care 6 Dental Charting 7 Pharmacology 8 Emergency Management 9 Clinical Dental Procedures 10 Instrument Transfer and Maintaining the Operating Field 11 Basic Chair side Instruments and Tray Systems 12 Anaesthetic and Sedation 13 Dental Radiography and Equipment 14 Produce and Evaluate Dental Radiographs 15 Restorative and Laboratory Materials and Techniques 16 Restorative Materials and Dental Dam 17 Laboratory Materials and Techniques 18 Dental Practice and Office Management 19 Employment Skills
How Will You Benefit?
- Fast track your career as a dental assistant
- Learn the inside secrets of how to become a dental assistant professional in months not years!
- Study a dental assistant course that was designed in conjunction with senior members of the profession
- Free up valuable time, don't waste time and money travelling to classes
- Study at your own pace whenever and wherever you are
- Have access to a tutor who works in the industry you are training for
- Easy interest free payment plans from as low as £25 per week
Start reaping the benefits by enrolling today!
Think of it as more then just a job or a way of earning an income. See it as contributing and making a very real difference to peoples health. A Dental Assisting career will be all about saving smiles for a bright future.
Taking care of our oral health is an utmost priority and is an important part of everyone's daily hygiene regimen. People will always invest in yearly or semi-annual visits to their dentists, as well as consultations for more aesthetic purposes, such as cleaning, veneering, and other procedures. And while dentists are in the forefront of dental work, they are always in need of reliable dental assistants to assist in this important work.
Dental operators are essentially the dentist's 'extra hands'. They let the dentist/dental operator provide more efficient dental treatment by sterilizing and handling their instruments, passing instruments during the procedure, exposing dental radiographs, taking impressions, and fabricating provisional crowns. Dental operators can focus more time on the procedure; the dental assistant then effectively becomes the operator's extra hands. Dentists rely heavily on the invaluable assistance Dental Assistants provide.
The great news for prospective dental assistants is the bright employment opportunities that exist for projected job growth. According to the Bureau of Statistics, employment is expected to grow 36 percent from 2008 to 2018, which is much faster than the average for all occupations. As a matter of fact, dental assistants are expected to be among the fastest growing occupations in the 2008 - 2018 period.
Besides strong job prospects you will find it a rewarding profession. The dental care you assist in providing improves people's health and self-confidence.
Having a formal training in dental assisting will help demonstrate to potential employers that you are a suitable candidate as you already posses valuable knowledge and skills. It will show that you have taken the time to invest in training. Ultimately it will assist in setting yourself apart from others and distinguishing why you should be chosen for the role you are applying for.
Summary: The demand for dental assistants will is projected to grow by 36% according to the Bureau of Statistics.
The ICI course in Dental Assisting & Nursing is offered as a foundation studies course only. It does NOT qualify for the membership requirements of the General Dental Council to work as a dental nurse within the UK. The course may be useful for existing dental nurses who wish to undertake professional development or those who wish to undertake a foundation studies program prior to undertaking future studies in dental nursing. Most other countries such as Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada and many states within the United States do not regulate dental assistants.
Course Levels Explained
Qualifications recognises the graduates capacity for initiative and judgment across a broad range of technical and management functions. Diploma holders typically have personal responsibility and autonomy (semi-independence) in performing technical operations or organising others in the workplace.
There are NO previous work or education requirements for entry into any course level. Students may enrol directly into the diploma or advanced diploma levels without completing lower ranked qualifications. Graduates can expect higher course levels to result in higher potential salary, positions and skill capabilities.
The average time within which students complete studies is:
Diploma Level-24 weeks
ICI courses allow you to study at your own pace with no assignment deadlines. This means that you determine the pace of the course and within which time period you will ultimately complete your studies in.
- Completing your course with ICI is flexible as you can fast-track and graduate in a matter of months. You complete activities and submit assignments whenever you are ready.
- The maximum time given to complete a program is three years.
Study Mode: Online Learning
This entire course is carried out via Distance Learning (also known as correspondence learning). Distance learning is ideal if you need to adapt around work, family, or other commitments. It is also extremely beneficial should you simply wish to fast track your studies (and career) and not be locked into a timetable.
Our course content and learning experience ensure that your course is relevant and interesting. Learning, tutorial assistance and assessments take place whenever and wherever you are in the country or world. It takes place at your own pace on your own terms to fit your lifestyle. As an ICI student, you'll never endure a pop quiz, spend countless hours and hundreds of dollars travelling, and never be late with an assignment or for class.
Enrolments statistics reveal that students from the following categories are currently taking advantage of the distance learning experience at ICI:
- Government, business & industry employers 32%
- High school leavers 20%
- Individuals looking to start a business or change career paths 18%
- Individuals already in the industry looking to formalise and/or update knowledge and seek a promotion 11%
- Military personal 11%
- Stay at home mothers 8%
Recognition & Accreditation
This course is recognised and accredited by the International Association of Private Career Colleges (IAPCC). The courses offered by ICI are unique as they take a very 'hands on' approach. Our courses are not designed to teach you just the 'theory' behind the industry - they are written and tutored by industry professionals and will fast-track you into a new career of your choice.
Various government departments and business's have enrolled their own staff with ICI for further training and development and is a strong indicator of acceptance and recognition by employers and industry.
The following is a partial list of companies and government departments which have enrolled or sponsored staff into ICI courses:
- Ministry of Defence
- Sports Centre, University of Kent
- Department of Tourism, Regional Development & Industry
- The Placement People
- Skill Hire
- Metcash Trading Ltd
- Navman Technologies
- The European Fund
- Employment Directions Network
- The Salvation Army
- Calvin Klein
- John Paul College
- Legal Aid Commission
- Melton Council
- Mitsubishi Corporation
- Commonwealth Bank
- American Express
- Clayton UTZ
- Hennikers Solicitors
- Villari Lawyers
- Prisoners Education Trust (HM Prison Service)
- Uniting Care Institute of Family Practice
- Workplace Authority
- Centacare Employment Group
- Employment Directions
- MAX Employment
- Gunnebo (Security)
- Brookfield Multiplex
- Coles Myer Ltd
Already in the Profession or Industry?
This course and qualification is a great way of consolidating existing knowledge via Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), updating your industry skills and contributing towards your professional development. It is also one of the most practical steps you can take towards working towards gaining a promotion or better paid position.
Course fees can be claimed as a tax deduction as long as the course is sufficiently connected to your work activities.
What Do I Get?
All materials essential for course completion are included in the cost of the course fee. Upon enrolment, students receive:
- All required study materials and course notes
- Practical assignment projects with constructive tutor feedback
- Industry based tutor who will service all of your course and career questions and guidance needs
- Student ID card giving students access to thousands of discounts both at home and overseas! Save on transport, accommodation, communications, food, shopping, movies and more!
On successful completion of the course you will receive:
- A graduation certificate officially recognizing your successful completion of studies and qualifications as a dental assistant
- Transcripts indicating units completed
- Letter of recommendation and validation for current and future employers
- Post-nominal letters placed after your name which indicate that you hold the relevant qualification. For example: John Smith, DipDA
- Job search assistance: Graduate Career Services Program ( Click to learn more ).