This unique and innovative programme is designed to develop students’ knowledge of the key areas of Islamic Studies (the Study of Islam and Muslims). This programme will introduce Islam in terms of its fundamental beliefs, history and development from the Arabian Peninsula to other parts of the world. Students will examine the key teachings of Islam as a religion and a civilisation that has come in contact with other cultures and civilisations. They will also explore other areas such as women and Islam, Islamic core sources and Islamic ethics in light of contemporary developments.
This programme is approved and credit-rated by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA).
- Introduction to Islamic Studies (SCQF 9)
- Islamic Core Sources and Approaches (SCQF 10)
- Islamic Ethics (SCQF 10)
- Women and Islam (SCQF 10)
Students choose one unit from a list of eight compulsory units. These will be made available at the start of the academic year:
- Arabic as a Foreign Language (SCQF 7)
- Arabic as a Foreign Language (SCQF 8)
- Arabic as a Foreign Language (SCQF 9)
- Arabic for Special Purposes (SCQF 10)
- Islamic Economics and Finance (SCQF 11)
- Islamic Commercial Law (SCQF 11)
- Applied Islamic Banking and Insurance (SCQF 11)
- Islamic Accounting and Auditing (SCQF 11)