Netherlands Student Visa Guide

By StudyLink

Netherlands Student Visa

The Netherlands is a growing international study destination, with many highly ranked universities and a student visa process that is simple and clear.

As with most EU countries the Netherland’s student visa process differs depending on whether or not your home country is part of the EU.

The Netherland’s Student Visa Process

If the student is from a non-EU, non-EEA nation, the Holland student visa process is:

  • Requirement of a Provincial Residence Permit, officially known as Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf (MVV). This is also known as the permit to enter the Netherlands. The MVV is applied for on the student’s behalf by the host university.
  • MVV allows entry in the country for a six-month period. Most of the courses at universities last for 1 to 4 years, a mere MVV will not suffice. Hence, VVR.
  • Once you enter the country, you need to apply for VVR or a Residence Permit. The VVR is also applied for by the host university.
  • VVR is permitted for study purposes only and is valid for the duration of the programme the student had enrolled in. There is another condition attached with the validity of VVR. It stays valid provided the student scores 50% of credit throughout the course duration.

As the Netherlands is a part of the European Union, international students from EU or EEA get special privileges and have different requirements. They require neither the MVV nor VVR for studying in the Netherlands. Such students have to simply request their host institutions to register them with the immigration authority.

For students from USA, Canada, Vatican City State, Monaco, South Korea, Japan, Australia and New Zealand, only a VVR is required.

Requirements for Student Visa for the Netherlands

For the successful grant of a student visa for the Netherlands, you must submit these compulsory documents:

  • Valid passport
  • Proof of sufficient financial means validating that you will be able to support yourself financially during your stay. These include either or all of transfer of funds, bank statement and scholarship letter.
  • Letter from the university you have chosen confirming your admission or enrollment
  • Proof of payment for all required legal fees
  • Health insurance

NUFFIC-certificate, a requirement only for Chinese students

Other document requirements are:

  • Completed application form
  • Two photographs meeting the officially specified conditions
  • Birth certificate
  • Academic transcripts

Insurance Requirements

As part of the Netherlands student visa requirements, students are required to have valid health insurance to bear their medical expenses in the Netherlands, if required. For non-EU, non-EEA and students from Switzerland, their EU Health Insurance Card should be sufficient.

For those working in the Netherlands, it is compulsory to take the Dutch basic healthcare insurance. Keep this in mind if you intend to work for part-time during your course.

Students should find out from their host institution for details on health insurance requirements and reference for an insurance company. Many private companies also offer special insurance packages for students.

There are some other insurance options that are not required but are strongly advised. Personal liability insurance is for insuring you against costs incurred by you in case of damage to someone or their property. Repatriation insurance should also be considered. It covers you against the transferring cost incurred if a serious medical condition requires returning you to your home country. Household contents insurance covers you against any unfortunate damage to your house due to fire, water damage and theft, among others things.

Work Permit for Holland Student Visas

All international students are permitted to work alongside their studies.

For non-EU and non EEA students, a work permit is required to work. This permit has to be obtained by the prospective employer on your behalf. Even with this work permit, students can work only for a limited number of hours, i.e. 10 hours a week. They are allowed to work full-time during the months of June, July and August.

Students from EU, EEA (except Croatia) and Switzerland do not require a work permit.

To receive wages, you are also required to have a Burger Service Number or a ‘citizen service number.’ You are issued this number when you register with the local municipality.

Even when you are a student, you are required to file and pay income tax. If you are on a scholarship, note that in some cases even scholarship is counted as an income and therefore is eligible for taxation.

The latest articles on StudyLink
StudyLink recommends

Sign Up to StudyLink

Sign up to StudyLink, the home of quality study abroad advice.

Click Here to Sign Up Now
  • Receive the StudyLink News newsletter
  • Save your favourite courses to build a shortlist
  • Be the first to find out about exciting new study opportunities

Join Our Newsletter


Sign up to today for free and be the first to hear about any new study abroad opportunities

Subscribe Now