StudyLink logoHome
Students on a university campus

10 Common Student Visa Questions

The word 'Visa' printed on a document

We have put together the most common student visa questions so you can quickly find out key student visa information. Make your student visa application quick and easy and give yourself the best chance of a successful student visa application for your chosen country.

1. Where do I start?
2. Where do I apply for my student visa?
3. What type of student visa do I need?
4. How much money will I need?
5. How good must my English be?
6. Can my family travel with me?
7. Can I work on my visa?
8. How long can I stay?
9. Are Governments trying to make it harder for international students?
10. Where can I find more information?

1. Where do I start with a student visa application?

You can’t apply for a student visa until you’re accepted to a course in that country. So, if you haven’t already done so, you need to submit an application for the course you wish to study. Not only that, but you must ensure the course meets the country’s visa requirements. Your student visa acceptance will be determined by a number of factors:

  • Your country of citizenship
  • Your chosen destination country
  • The course you wish to study
  • The institution you wish to study at
  • How you plan to fund your study

Different countries have differing visa systems and acceptance procedures. However, they are usually very similar:

  • To study in the UK you need to have received an offer for a place on a course. You need to prove that you can understand English, including reading, writing and speaking. Find out more about UK Student Visas.
  • To study in the US you need to prove that you have a permanent residence in your country of citizenship. You need to have the funds to support your study and intend to return home once your study is complete. Find out more about US Student Visas.
  • To study in Australia you also need to prove that you have sufficient funds to support your course fees and living costs. You will also be assessed based on the subject you have chosen and your country of citizenship. Find out more about Australia Student Visas.
  • To study in Europe you do not require a visa if your country of citizenship is an EU member. If you are outside of the EU you should check your chosen destination’s visa requirements for more specific details.

Wherever you chose to study we advise that you apply for your visa as soon as possible.

2. Where do I apply for my student visa?

Usually you will apply for your student visa in your own country. This will require you to visit an application center or make your application online. Here you will submit your application paperwork and provide any biometric information required.

Here is where you apply for a student visa to the following countries as examples:

  • UK – apply online on the website
  • Australian visa applications can be submitted online using the ImmiAccount service. Biometric information may be submitted at one of the nominated biometric collection centers.
  • For a US Student Visa you are required to attend an interview at a US embassy or consulate.

3. What type of student visa do I need?

If you are studying abroad for your post-16 education you will require a general student visa.

  • In the UK this is called a Student visa (previously Tier 4) visa
  • In the US this is called a F-1 visa (Academic Student)
  • In Australia your visa type will depend on your country of citizenship and your chosen subject, but will generally be the Student visa (subclass 500)

4. How much money will I need?

This is one of the most common questions and is an important factor in your visa application process. It is necessary for you to prove that you have enough funds for your course fees and living costs. However, the money required can vary depending on the country and region within that country. Some countries require you to prove that you have funds for the entirety of your course. While others only require proof of funds for the 1st year.

For a UK student visa you will need to prove you have funds for the following:

  • First year of course fees
  • £1,334 per month (for up to 9 months) for courses in London
  • £1,023 per month (for up to 9 months) for courses outside London

For an Australian student visa:

  • Provide bank statements, evidence of grants or scholarships. This will prove that you have enough money to cover all your costs and expenses through your course, such as travel, course fees and rent.

For a US student visa:

  • Proof of liquid assets to cover cost of first year study and living expenses
  • Proof of readily available funds to cover remaining years of study

5. How good must my English be?

The course you have applied for may require you to have completed an English language certificate. In addition to that, tighter immigration rules mean you must prove you have a good understanding of English at the border crossing.

New changes to the UK student visa mean that if you are unable to communicate without a translator you will be denied entry.

6. Can my family travel with me?

Your family can travel with you if you meet each country’s visa requirements. For the UK you must be on a postgraduate course at a university with at least a 12 month duration. Or a Government sponsored student.

For the US you will have to prove your relationship to your dependent. They will also have to apply for their own visas.

For the Australian student visa you will have to prove that you have a sufficient level of funds available to support each dependent.

We advise that you check the specific requirements for your chosen destination.

7. Can I work on my Visa?

Generally on a student visa you are permitted to work up to 20 hours per week. You can only start working once your course has started.

The same rules usually apply for any dependents you may have.

8. How long can I stay?

On a student visa you are allowed to stay for the duration of your course, as specified in your initial visa application.

You will also be allowed to stay for a short time following the completion of your studies however this can be anything from 60 days to 4 months depending on your chosen destination.

9. Are governments trying to make it harder for international students?

While it may appear that countries are making it more difficult to study overseas, the changes in the immigration laws are actually to protect your international education.

The aims of these restrictions are to prevent bogus and unrecognized colleges offering poor quality courses to international students. Therefore ensuring you receive an excellent education from a recognised institution.

10. Where can I find more information?

For more information on student visas, StudyLink recommends the following resources:

Good look with your visa application.

International Study Advice

Search for courses now

International study advice

Read our key advice article to help you make the best decision for your education and start your International study adventure.

Person holding a compass
How to choose the ideal study destination for you

In this article we look at how to approach choosing where in the world you would like to study.

World map on a blackboard
Deciding to study abroad: The first steps

Read StudyLink's suggestions on your first steps when deciding where to study abroad, with helpful tips to make your decision easier.

Students reading a book
English Language Testing for International Students

Find out more about English language tests, your options and what is required as an overseas student.

Lady holding bank notes
How much does it really cost to study abroad in 2024? take a detailed look into the costs of studying abroad and all the aspects that you should budget for when embarking on your studies.

A visa document
10 Common Student Visa Question

We answer 10 common questions about applying for a student visa to help make your visa application quick and easy.

A visa document and a world map
International Study Visas

Find out more about international student visas for studying abroad, as well as how, where and when to apply for yours.

A piggy bank with coins
Funding and Scholarships for International Students

Find out more about funding and scholarships for international students, and what financial assistance might be available to you.

Person selecting a book from a shelf
How to choose the right course for you

How to choose a course that fits you? Check our top tips on choosing which course is best for you to help you make an informed decision.

See more international study advice

Sign up to

Sign up to, the home of quality study abroad advice.

Sign up now
Students with books and test tubes
Search for courses