- Join a pharmacy school ranked in the world top 10 (QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2019)
- Spend a year in industry working on a research project
- Be taught by academics from the School of Pharmacy and the School of Life Sciences, providing you with expertise from both disciplines
With global ageing and continuous expanding populations, there is an urgent need for new medicines and a better understanding of healthcare. The taught modules in the first year combined with the placement are excellent preparation for a career in the pharmaceutical industry.
The overall aim of the course is to develop knowledge and understanding, cognitive skills, and practical and professional skills in the area of drug discovery and pharmaceutical science.
The drug discovery process from ‘concept to clinic’ provides the reference point for the education and training delivered in the more specific scientific and regulatory aspects.
This course will give you:
- a critical understanding of the disease/disorder biology and how it impacts upon human health
- knowledge in normal and abnormal pharmacology and bodily function, with an understanding of how and why drugs are either rejected or taken forward for future development
- skills in physicochemical and pharmacological principles alongside the regulatory processes necessary for new medicine discovery and entry into the clinic
- knowledge of the process of drug design and development so you apply to practical problems in pharmacology, drug discovery and pharmaceutical science
Industrial placement year
- Developed with the pharmaceutical industry to ensure relevance and to increase the future employability of graduates
- Fees are reduced to half of those of the first year
- Build your network for your future career
- Training future leaders in the pharmaceutical sector
The placement year with one of our industrial partners is arranged and guaranteed upon completion of a successful application and interview process.