Civil engineering is arguably one of the oldest engineering disciplines. It arose from the basic human needs for shelter, safety and warmth. The size of the challenge has grown, but the basic requirements are the same - to keep people warm, safe and secure.
In addition, civil engineers now need to consider the environment and the impact that all new buildings and infrastructure development has on the world around us. They face the demands of maintaining and updating existing assets, whilst also designing and constructing new ones. From designing state of the art sports stadia and transport hubs, to keeping houses and livelihoods safe from flood damage, to ensuring the provision of renewable safe energy sources, civil engineers have designed and built the modern world as we know it. This degree, together with our 3000m² of specialist and integrated engineering laboratories, prepares you for all of these challenges.Career development
Nearly 50% of the top250 Financial Times Stock Exchange (FTSE) companies have a CEO who studied for an engineering degree. Civil engineering is an exciting, varied and respected profession. Civil engineers need to be resourceful, practical and resilient. Communication skills are essential and you will need to be highly numerate and literate to succeed. The skills you will learn in this degree course set you on the road to leadership.Accreditation
This degree is three years long in full-time mode. It is accredited by the Joint Board of Moderators (JBM) as:
- Fully satisfying the educational base for an incorporated engineer (IEng)
- Partially satisfying the educational base for a chartered engineer (CEng).
A programme of accredited further learning will be required to complete the educational base for CEng.
Please see the MEng programmes if you are looking for CEng status without further academic study.Outcomes
The aims of the programme are:
- To provide you with the knowledge and skills to work as a professional engineer with current and future civil engineering technologies, methods and standards
- To support you in understanding the pioneering approaches in this field and apply them to the solution of real-world problems
- To develop your understanding of the civil engineering industry and prepare you to gain graduate employment.