The primary aim of this course is to educate you to MSc level in the theoretical and practical aspects of mathematical problem solving, mathematical model development, creating software solutions and communication of results.
This course provides training in the use and development of reliable numerical methods and corresponding software. It aims to train graduates with a mathematical background to develop and apply their skills to the solution of real problems. It covers the underlying mathematical ideas and techniques and the use and design of mathematical software. Several application areas are examined in detail. It develops skills in mathematical problem-solving, scientific computing, and technical communication.
Training is also provided in general computing skills, mathematical typsetting, mathematical writing, desktop and web-based mathematical software development, and the use of computer languages and packages including Mathematica, parallel computing, C#, 3D graphics and animation, and visualisation.
The MSC is now available fully online and can be taken over 12 months full time or 24 months part time.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- use the description of a real world problem to develop a reasonable mathematical model in consultation with the scientific literature and possibly experts in the area
- carry out appropriate mathematical analysis
- select or develop an appropriate numerical method and write a computer programme which gives access to a sensible solution to the problem
- present and interpret these results for a potential client or a non-technical audience
Modules (90 credits):
AM6001 Introduction to Mathematica (5 credits)
AM6002 Numerical Analysis with Mathematica (5 credits)
AM6003 Cellular Automata (5 credits)
AM6004 Applied Nonlinear Analysis (Computational Aspects) (5 credits)
AM6005 Modelling of Systems with Strong Nonlinearities (5 credits)
AM6006 Mathematical Modelling of Biological Systems with Differential Equations (5 credits)
AM6007 Object Oriented Programming with Numerical Examples (10 credits)
AM6008 Developing Windowed Applications and Web-based Development for Scientific Applications (5 credits)
AM6009 3D Computer Graphics and Animation for Scientific Visualisation (5 credits)
AM6010Topics in Applied Mathematical Modelling(5 credits)
AM6011 Advanced Mathematical Models and Parallel Computing with Mathematica (5 credits)
AM6012 Minor Dissertation (30 credits)
Course Code: CKR36 Full-time & CKR37 Part-time
Course Title: Mathematical Modelling and Scientific Computing Online Course
College: Science, Engineering and Food Science
Duration: 1 year Full-time; 2 years Part-time
Course Delivery Method*: Online
Teaching Mode: Full-time, Part-Time
This programme will be taught online.
NFQ Level: Level 9
Costs: 2017/2018 Irish/EU EUR 7,000
2016 Entry Requirements:
2017 Entry Requirements: You must have obtained at least a 2.2 honours degree or equivalent in a numerate discipline (i.e., science or engineering)
Closing Date: See details in application procedure section below
Next Intake: 11th September 2017
The course places great emphasis on hands-on practical skills. There is a computer laboratory allocated solely for the use of MSc students. PCs are preloaded with all the required software and tools. Online students are expected to have a suitable PC or laptop available; all required software is provided for installation to faciliate course work.Online teaching hours, involving lecturers, tutorials and practical demonstrations, usually take place in the morninbg. The rest of the time, you are expected to do exercises, assignments and generally put in the time required to acquire key skills.
Continuous assessment is the primary method of examining. In each module, typically 40% of the marks are available for take-home assignments and the remaining 60% of marks are examined by a practical computer-based examination. Final projects are read and examined by at least two members of staff.
For more information, please see the Book of Modules 2012/2013
Application for this programme is on-line atwww.pac.ie/ucc. Places on this programme are offered in rounds. The closing dates for each round can be found here. For full details of the application procedure click How to apply.
All required documentation must be either uploaded to your online application, or sent in hard copy to The Postgraduate Applications Centre, 1, Courthouse Square, Galway, immediately after an application is made.