The programme aims to prepare qualified, competent, professional secondary science teachers capable of satisfying the educational needs of learners with different abilities within a community that values multiple aspects of intelligence. Graduates of the programme will have attained academic excellence and professional competence for effective teaching of science in schools. In particular, they will possess a solid command of science subject knowledge and skills together with a firm and thorough grasp of the interrelationship between theory and practice. They will persistently affirm the importance of scientific literacy in our society and will be creative, responsible, and caring individuals who have a solid understanding of science, technology, society, and environment, as well as commitment to ethical values.
The programme aims to prepare qualified, competent, professional secondary science teachers who are able to:
- Demonstrate command and understanding of the subject matter and pedagogical content knowledge of one science discipline, Biology;
- Apply science knowledge and skills together with appropriate pedagogies to teaching students with diversified abilities and backgrounds, and in different school settings;
- Exhibit professional competence and attitudes in teaching junior secondary science and one senior science subject, Biology;
- Utilize different generic skills (e.g. problem solving, critical thinking, and creativity) in teaching and learning, and life-wide and lifelong professional development;
- Exhibit proficiency in biliteracy and trilingualism in Chinese and English that facilitates effective communication in school and social contexts;
- Critically and creatively analyze socio-scientific, technological, and environmental issues and concerns in the local, national, and global contexts; and
- Display commitment to teaching with a professional ethical attitude, and a global and multi-cultural perspective.