The university was established as Loughborough College of Technology in 1952 and incorporated as a university in 1966. In 1998 Loughborough College of Art and Design merged with the university. The university is a partner in the Peterborough Higher Education Project Company.
It is located in the East Midlands.
Loughborough University accepts international applications through the UCAS service, and also offers international exchange programs aswell as ERASMUS+ scheme. English Language proficiency is also required as part of the applications process.
The University is divided into nine academic schools which are home to both undergraduate and postgraduate courses. These schools are:
- School of Aeronautical, Automotive, Chemical and Materials Engineering
- School of Business and Economics
- School of Civil and Building Engineering
- Loughborough Design School
- Wolfson School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering
- School of Science
- School of Social, Political and Geographical Sciences
- School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences
- School of the Arts, English and Drama